Health & Exercise
Options

So I used to be fit...

I got pregnant right after my father passed away and around the holidays.  This all led to about a 10 lb. weight creep before the BFP, then I ate whatever I wanted and worked out very little first and second trimester. I'm a teacher, teach far away from where I work, and get home exhausted with more school work to do.  However, the summer is upon me and I'd like to try to get into a more consistent routine. 

I can't run anymore (after a failed attempt this weekend).  It is just too uncomfortable and my joints feel so loose.  I've started walking but I feel like it isn't enough.  I don't know where to start though because I've never been 20 lbs overweight with a baby to think about when starting a work out routine :)  

Any suggestions?  My husband is a crossfit trainer but his gym is near his work and I don't get to go there often to work out.  So I don't want to join a gym.  Any good DVDs?  How much walking should I do?  Is it possible to slim up the arm and leg area while pregnant?

Re: So I used to be fit...

• Options
    You could always try swimming.  That's good.  When I walk I put on headphones and walk for at least an hour.  I also have the Wii fit.  It's really easy so I don't have to worry about pushing myself too hard.  I also try to use regular workout dvd's.  Since I'm in my house I can make sure the temp is cool and I don't get overheated.   Not sure if legs and arms slim down while pregnant, I'm sure hoping so!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

When my husband and I bought our house, we invested in a good treadmill, so I may have an advantage you don't.  I apologize in advance for suggesting something that might not work for you.

Before I was pregnant, I would run 5 miles in about 45 minutes every morning during the week.  My husband freaked out when we found out I was expecting and pleaded with me to tone it down.

So now I walk, but I haul a$$.  I work from 7:30 to 5:30 about half an hour from home.  To find time, I get up at 4:30am.  Sounds extreme, but I feel so good afterwards that I quickly got used to the wake-up. I figure I had to do it because I need to get exercise or else I end up with serious constipation issues-- and this started 10+ years before I got pregnant (it's a long and woeful story of pain and misery that I've finally got under control).

I pick a TV show on DVD (right now, I'm watching Firefly for the 4th time), and walk at a pace of about 4.7 mph at an incline of between 6.0 and 7.5 for all but 10 minutes when I switch to downhill (-3.0). Most hour-long TV shows go about 43 minutes.  Two half-hour comedies gets me the same time.  I sweat as much as I did when I used to run, but I'm using different muscles.  I find that I've kept my muscle tone in my legs without joint pain. I actually think, despite the pregnancy gain, my butt is in better shape now.

I also picked up a pair of those Skecher Shape-Ups.  I alternate weeks with those now.  One week on the incline with my flat sneakers and one week on flat to downhill with the Shape-Ups.  I also use the Shape-Ups if I just don't have it in me to do the incline routine one day.

I can't wait to get back to running, but for now, I feel good about what I'm doing and I've had very few instances of digestive issues. The baby has an excellent heart rate and all the tests are coming back with good results, so I feel pretty certain I'm doing the best thing for myself and him/her.  I hope to continue this routine through to the end.  I'm about 20 weeks right now.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Trail walking is good, too, if you have any trails nearby. I don't know if your legs/arms can slim up, but I'm hoping so! Or, at least, I'm hoping that I can keep them from getting bigger, since I'm slightly above my normal weight and now I'm PG on top of it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"