Preemies

Lurker coming out...

Hi ladies! I'm finally coming out of lurking because I think it would be good for me to be more active, especially when I'm experiencing some challenges with my little man.

LO was born 35w4d, weighing in at 4lb 15oz and was in the NICU for a week before coming home. His biggest challenge is gaining weight and its been difficult to say the least. I look forward to being more active here & getting to know more preemie moms on the board.

Re: Lurker coming out...

• ijackijack member
    Welcome!! Congratulations on your son :)
    Emma - March '08 Quinn - August '11
    Need help with high fat food ideas? Chunky Monkey
  • My son was born around the same gestation and about the same size. He originally went from 4lbs 13ozs to 4.5 lbs. We had a really hartd time with getting him to eat at first. He would only take aboy 10-20 ccs of formula at a time and I was also trying to breast feed. At first we thought he was getting enough between the formula and the breast milk, but it turned out that he was hardly getting any breast milk and waht he was getting he was spitting up because he was allregic to it. We went through several formulas trying to find one that he was ok with and once we did he started packing on the pounds. He had doubled his size at his 1 month check up. If you are still concerned at his `1 month check up, you should ask the doctor if he thinks your son would benefit from a higher calorie formula. Good luck and welcome!
  • Loading the player...
  • Welcome! Congrats on your little boy Big Smile
    EDD: 01/08/10, Born 8 weeks early on 11/16/09 at 32w3d due to pre-eclampsia and partial abruption
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Our Family Blog
  • Hi Joelen. Welcome!

Is Joel striclty breastfed? I would second looking into a higher calorie formula for him, like NeoSure, but I guess that woudn't apply if you are doing only BM.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Welcome
  • ijackijack member
    Btw, I was just reading your blog (I've usually just read your cooking blog) and wanted to offer an idea. My daughter has always had trouble gaining weight and so we'd feed her every 2-3 hours during thr day, which allowed her (and us) to go 3-4 at night. It also might help with the day/night confusion that he's experiencing. GL!
    Emma - March '08 Quinn - August '11
    Need help with high fat food ideas? Chunky Monkey
  • We had a ton of problems w/DD gaining weight, too...it ultimately ended up being BM supply issues. We supplemented and eventually went to full FF and now her weight gain is much better. 
  • this board is awesome!! welcome! :) 

congratulations on your son! 

• Welcome! My daugther was born at 33w2d at 4lb 15 oz. At 4 months she weighs 11 pounds 8 ounces. It is a slow process but believe me...once he starts he won't stop!! Enjoy him!
  • Thank you ladies for all your warm welcomes and advice! I knew coming here would lift my hopes and help me stay positive despite how frustrating things can be.

LO is strictly breastfed, at least this past week. However, prior to that, I was supplementing with Neosure 22cal. I'm starting to supplement again mixed with some BM to help provide some more calories, after our pedi appt earlier today. (LO gained only 1oz this past week.) Thanks for the suggestion to also feed every 2-3 hrs during the day and every 3-4 hrs during the night. If LO's weight increases between now and our next weight check in on Thursday, I may try doing that.

It's great to finally have a place where other moms can relate... thank you.

• Congrats and welcome!
  • Welcome! Congrats on your little one!
  • Congrats and welcome!  This is a great group of ladies!

• Hi Joelen, welcome and Congrats  ( I know you from the WC board!)

Please feel free to ask questions and gain support from the mamas here.  We're happy to have you!

Congrats again on your little boy!

imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Congratulations on the birth of Joel. Welcome to the board. Although I hate saying that, but welcome.

• Hey there, I know your screen name from the WC board and your blog is on my google reader. You are very welcome here! I had similar issues with my son, he had an intestinal infection and several surgeries so weight was a big deal with us. He is now a healthy 2-year-old in the 50th percentile for weight, so it worked out well.

Most of his weight gain happened when he started solids, I made all of his food and I would love to share that with you when the time comes, I know you are always looking for a cooking challenge :) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"