Postpartum Depression

Anxiety...

Hi everyone...first post here. I need some support and I know you ladies can relate to me like no one else can. I have a history with anxiety and over the last few weeks, it has come back and is something nasty. I hate it. I am worried about everything! And not just a normal worry, but an obsessive OMG I don't want to go anywhere worry. I am afraid it will start to dictate what I do and I don't want that to happen. I am also nervous about asking for help. I hate asking for help, but I think it might be coming time for me to do so. I have been on meds before and I would like to try avoiding them if at all possible. I guess I would just like to know if any of you had anxiety or depression that surfaced 3+ months post delivery and how you have handled it... I guess I just don't know what to do. I am not having any thoughts that are harmful towards myself or my baby. Nothing like that. It is more like this terrible fear that something bad will happen to me and/or my family...thanks ladies. You're wonderful.

Re: Anxiety...

• I too have a history with anixety.  At about 4 or 5 months PP, I found my hormones beginning to regulate, which caused many of the symptoms to return.  I was reluctant to go back on meds, but it was the best situation- I couldn't stay up every night or wake up in the middle of the night and having panic attacks.  Ask your doc to start you on the lowest dose possible of a medication that you and her/him agree on, and move up as necessary.  GL!
    MMC 2/1/11, D&C same day. C/P 1/30/12 DD 8/2/08 ~PGAL/PAL Welcome~
  • imagekissingthetip:
    I too have a history with anixety.  At about 4 or 5 months PP, I found my hormones beginning to regulate, which caused many of the symptoms to return.  I was reluctant to go back on meds, but it was the best situation- I couldn't stay up every night or wake up in the middle of the night and having panic attacks.  Ask your doc to start you on the lowest dose possible of a medication that you and her/him agree on, and move up as necessary.  GL!

Did you see your OB or primary physician? How do I broach the subject? I'm afraid I will just burst into tears and not be able to communicate my needs well enough...

• Loading the player...
  • I totally understand what you're going through. My constant fear is that something willl happen to me and I won't get to see DD grow up. I've been told this is normal but it stresses me out. I love her so much and I always want to be here for her. I hope the fear fades with time and it does come and go but when it's at the front of my mind it really sucks. Anyone else struggle with this fear?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • imagekates_mommy:
    I totally understand what you're going through. My constant fear is that something willl happen to me and I won't get to see DD grow up. I've been told this is normal but it stresses me out. I love her so much and I always want to be here for her. I hope the fear fades with time and it does come and go but when it's at the front of my mind it really sucks. Anyone else struggle with this fear?

I have that exact same fear, and after 2 weeks of worrying something was wrong with me, I had a sort of panic attack that 3 months later, still is there.  I finally just started meds, but am so scared of them, which is why it has taken me so long.  Mine doesn't really come and go though, and I think it has turned into depression now too.  I am paranoid about all feelings and all things.  Let me know if you ever want to talk! Hope you feel better! 

• My anxiety is tied in large part to sleep problems...it's a vicious cycle.  My physician (before I was pregnant) got me on Trazadone for the sleep first.  Once my sleep was better regulated the anxiety was much better.  I still have it but I don't require a separate med for the anxiety.  Unfortunately now 9 mos preggers my sleep has gone to sh*t (can't take Trazadone) and so the anxiety is back...I just keep telling myself to hold on until LO is here.  As for telling your doctor...dont be afraid to "break down" in front of the doc...sometimes they need to see your turmoil in order to effectively understand and treat you.  You could also have your SO come with you so they can take over talking if need be.  Bottom line...it is treatable but getting help sooner rather than later is important because anxiety and depression often go hand-in-hand and you quickly find yourself in a tailspin.  GL!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"