Postpartum Depression

Question from PgAL: depression/anxiety DURING pg.

Hi ladies. I am stopping in from PgAL to ask a question.

I am currently 28w5d and for the last few days having lots of anxiety. I have suffered from minor depression for the last few years and was on Prozac until DH & I decided to TTC in April 2009. I was off the meds for 6 mos before I got my BFP in Sept. 2009. That pg ended in m/c. 

I got another BFP in Dec. and thought I was handling it incredibly well. Until this last week. I have been feeling really anxious and the same feelings of depression are creeping back. I am not sure if it's because of my impending EDD on Tuesday (which I had been doing so well with) or if it really is the depression coming back.

I have an appointment with my OB on Monday, so I plan on discussing all of this with her then, but I thought I might get some feedback from you ladies in the meantime.

Did any of you develop depression/anxiety during pregnancy or was it after LO was born?  I knew because of my history I would be more susceptible to PPD, but I had not heard of depression during pg.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Question from PgAL: depression/anxiety DURING pg.

• you can have depression during PG, and i can't say for sure but i would think that if you're pre-disposed to having any kind of depression the chances you might experience it during PG would be higher than for someone who has never dealt with it.

we found out at 20 weeks that our baby has a physical birth defect and the month immediately afterward i felt very much like i did when i had PPD after DS#1 was born.  I couldn't stop thinking about it, wasn't sleeping well, i cried randomly, felt like i was just drowning and alone and nobody cared about me because nobody noticed.  I talked to my OB about it, and asked about medication.  He said that if i thought i needed it, he would prescribe it for me. 

I was really afraid it was coming back early for me.  Luckily, it went away.  I think just being aware and ready to have the conversation with your Dr is the most important part.  i ended up not needing treatment this time around, so maybe with some time to mentally process your due date and loss, there will have a similar result for you.

((hugs))

• After talking with a therapist since LO's birth, she told me that it was quite likely that I have had the depression since about October last year which is right about when I found out I was pregnant (about 20 weeks along). Finding out I was pregnant was probably the straw that broke the camel's back but I didn't do or say anything until after LO was born and I was completely miserable all the time. I know now that I should have done something last fall but I had no history of depression or anxiety and yet I now take meds for both. 

I would go ahead and talk to your doctor. I think the history gives you a higher chance during and after pregnancy for depression and anxiety. You could just be having some pre-baby jitters which are normal but still you should talk with the doctor about it.

I hope everything goes well for you!

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks for your suggestions ladies.

I thought it was pre-baby jitters at first, but the irrational, consuming thoughts are not about baby. Mostly about DH & I's relationship. Unfortunately that is the subject that gets the brunt of my depression when it creeps in. 

I have an appointment with my OB in a few hours and DH is coming with me. I plan to ask her about everything.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"