Illinois Babies

amniocentesis anyone?

Hi,

I have been lurking (this is my first post) on the bump and didn't think I would ever post.  But now we are facing a very difficult decision.  We are pass the time to do a CVS (and probably would not have done one), but can get an amniocentesis if we want.  I want to know, but am very scared of the procedure and risks.  Can anyone who has had it done please let me know what they faced?  Thank you!

Re: amniocentesis anyone?

• Welcome!  I remember you from the knot.  Don't be afraid to post.  This board is pretty slow, so you may have more luck on the national boards.  I haven't had an amnio, so I'm no help there.  Do you mind me asking what led up to you needing to consider an amnio? 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hi,

I also recongnize a few from the knot :-)

I am older and so is my husband (although I am told I look very young ;-)) So being almost mid-thirties (which is when the risk for having a baby with issues increases dramatically), my doctor said the risk was higher for us.  Therefore, I wanted to know if it was worth it to do the test.  I have heard there may be bleeding for up to two days after the test.  That worries me as it was very difficult for us to get pregnant in the first place. And I have been bleeding in the last few weeks.  If many people tell me that the test was not bad, I might go ahead...but I'm still scared.

• Loading the player...
  • Hi there,

I remember you from the knot, although I imagine you don't remember me.  I think you had just left when I started planning my wedding.

Anyway, we're in very much the same boat.  We're doing the nt scan first, and we'll wait to see those results before we make any decisions.  I'm hoping our scan goes well and we won't have to worry about it, but we'll see.  GL with your decision.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had DD when I was 34 and my doctor never recommended that I have any screenings.  With that said, when we have #2, I will have the NT scan and BUN test.  If those come back with red flags, then I will consider amnio.  However, I don't think I would do it unless other factors indicated that there might be an issue.  Good luck with trying to figure out what's right for you!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm 37 and didn't do the amnio. I almost didn't do the NT scan either until I learned that there was absolutely no risks involved. For me, personally, had the NT come back with not-so-great results (I think it came back with 1 in 5000 chances of Trisomy), I still would NOT have done the amnio.  It's totally a personal decision though ... basically you need to ask yourself what if the results aren't "great"? What would you do? For us, having had already lost one pregnancy, we wouldn't have done anything differently - other than have been more prepared.

You might want to check with the girls on the Pg over 35 or the Parenting over 35 boards as some have done the amnio. From what I remember, most said it wasn't as painful as they imagined. But I do know there's a risk of miscarriage and that was just something I wasn't willing to risk...

GL!!

click the pic (blog)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you Ladies! Our results came back from the NT scan and blood test.  Our probability decreased (good news).  I told DH that I do not want to have the amnio and I think he is finally ok with it.  Thanks again for all your help!
  • With any test the first question to ask is will there be a change in treatment after the test. If so what? Are you willing to abort based on the information? If not then why do it. If you don't have a family history of problems then the risks don't out weigh the possible positives. What is the false positive rate? I have heard that many pregnancies have gotten ruined by worry and fear and then nothing was wrong. Fear and worry are a real thereat to an unborn baby as this changes the hormones. I have to wonder whey all the testing today? Is it about making money and avoiding lawsuits? Much of what goes on in OB is based on practicing defensive medicine and not what is best for babies and parents. If you want to have a better experience I suggest a midwife. Some midwives are just like OB's so you have to know what questions to ask. I provide birth options consultations for parents who want to have the best birth for their baby. A healthy and happy experience that is less medical is why many parents choose a midwife in hospital or out.One more thing - there is no such thing as no risks. There are always possible risks with any treatment.

Jo Anne Lindberg - President & Founder - BirthLink.com

• I am 16 weeks pregnant and the first blood test for chromasone abnormality was inconclusive and the second one said I was equivalent to a 38 year old mother. They suggested I get an amniocentesis next week which is 17 weeks.  I am so scared and worried also.  I wish I knew if an baby high percentile deffinately meant that my baby could have defects or downs syndrome

Please know my prayers are with you and I hope you and I both get the answers we need.  God Bless you and good luck.

P.S.  This is my first time on the message board also.

Liz

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"