Single Parents
Options

Has anyone changed LO's last name?

Apparently I can change DS's last name to my maiden name before he turns one, and it won't cost that much money. The catch is that STBXH will have to sign a document in front of a notary public okaying it. If he doesn't agree, which I'm sure he won't, it can be decided in court. Has anyone done this? Would a judge ever grant that?

Would it matter that STBXH now says he never wanted a baby (even though he certainly did while we were trying for one)?

It would be so, so nice for DS and I to have the same last name - and not STBXH's. I don't want to keep DB's last name, but I REALLY don't want to have a different last name than DS, so if I can't get DS's last name changed, I'll probably keep DB's last name.

Re: Has anyone changed LO's last name?

• Options
    I also need to get some info about this. DD has DB's last name, but he's not on the birth certificate. the county also gave me paperwork that has to be signed by both parents, BUT DB will fight it. he wants DD to keep his last name. ugh.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    I wish I could do this, and I know there is no way in hell that STBXH would agree.  I have the same name as an actress, so I get a lot of jokes about that, but it's not as funny to joke about now that the marriage is over.  I will probably legally hyphenate and go by my maiden name at work but keep my married name so that it matches the girls.  (Plus, it would probably p*ss off HW that I can still walk around as Mrs. K for as long as I want).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    nire99nire99 member
    In Ohio it depends on the county.  Where I live you have to have a pretty severe reason (such as abuse in our case) in order to do it.  Even then I still have to file the petition and post an ad in the newspaper for six weeks stating my intention to do so.  I plan on changing both of my DC's last names to match mine once the divorce is final.
  • Options

I need to find out this as well. My husband is having an affair and has chosen his girlfriend over us and has never had any interest in DS...so, I want baby and I to have the same last name..it's only right.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"