Postpartum Depression
Options

If you take anti-anxiety meds...

...do you notice a difference in your nerves?  Are you feeling more relaxed?  Is your mind more at rest?  I would like hep with all of these things, but I am reluctant to believe that anything can change for me.  My thoughts keep me from falling asleep, my mind is constantly racing.  I feel the weight of the world on my shoulders.  I am a WAHM, and my busy day keeps me from enjoying life.  I am trying to figure out if meds would help, or if I just need to come to terms with the fact that this is just part of my personality.  Also, can meds be safe while BFing?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary

Re: If you take anti-anxiety meds...

• Options
    ugh, i am going through the exact same thing and very nervous.  i too have a hard time believing meds will make it better, even though people have said it would.  i was not like this before 3 months ago when basically a panic attack hit, and never fully left.  i don't know what to do either, but waking up and being nervous and barely eating is really really wearing me down, and my social life has taken a huge hit.  hope we get some answers...
  • Options
    Gina418Gina418 member
    I was on Lexapro for my anxiety and it worked wonders for me. There are meds out there that are safe for bf'ing - your doc can guide you on that. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with PP about lexapro.  I just upped my dosage from 20 mg to 30 mg per the suggestion of a psychologist I'm seeing.  The 20 mg was working great for me before I had my baby, but after she was born...wow did things change.  My anxiety and depression came back with a vengeance.  I'm waiting impatiently for the upped dosage to help me feel better, but I know it will.  When I was really anxious and depressed, I thought the same thing...this will never go away/never get better.  I have to force myself not to think these thoughts, because I know it will go away, it's just hard to believe when you feel so crappy.  Good luck and PM if you want to talk more and I can send you my info. I'd be glad to help if I can.   

photo 444e1a74-1f01-47b5-8489-88b2999f2e54_zpse873dcde.jpg 

Mommy's sweet girls

Kaatje Grace 4.26.2010

Eloise Hope 2.10.2012

• Options
    its really helped me with all that. i can actually nap now! zoloft is fine to take while nursing
  • Options
    I started taking generic Zoloft 2 weeks ago and the difference has been amazing.  No more racing thoughts, panic attacks, worrying about tiny things, racing heart, dizziness--- it's all gone and I just started my full dose.  I seriously wish I would have taken this med sooner.  I am BFing, but in the process of weaning.  My DD nurses 3x day.
  • Options

imagesparky88:
    I started taking generic Zoloft 2 weeks ago and the difference has been amazing.  No more racing thoughts, panic attacks, worrying about tiny things, racing heart, dizziness--- it's all gone and I just started my full dose.  I seriously wish I would have taken this med sooner.  I am BFing, but in the process of weaning.  My DD nurses 3x day.

That's great to know it helped you so much.  I am now also dealing with all of that and a feeling of unease, but I don't know about what.  Like "is this my life now?" uneasiness, and I can't just enjoy something without thinking about how I am feeling at the moment, how am I going to feel, what am I thinking about.  I want to go back to the times where I thought about doing laundry or cleaning out a closet, instead of how to make it through the day.  Does the meds do that?? 

• Options

imageBenandSuzy:
    That's great to know it helped you so much.  I am now also dealing with all of that and a feeling of unease, but I don't know about what.  Like "is this my life now?" uneasiness, and I can't just enjoy something without thinking about how I am feeling at the moment, how am I going to feel, what am I thinking about.  I want to go back to the times where I thought about doing laundry or cleaning out a closet, instead of how to make it through the day.  Does the meds do that?? 

Yes, it helps with this sort of thing immensely.  I had the same thoughts & know what you are talking about.  Don't wait-- the meds really really help. 

• Options

Cymbalta changed my life. The most important thing being that I can sleep at night because my worries do not keep me up.

I am a different person and love my working mom, 10 month olds twin life.

• Options

Zoloft and therapy have been working beautifully for me. It did take quite a bit of time (6-8 weeks) before I noticed a difference and I had to gradually work my way up to 100mg from 25mg. Don't get discouraged if it takes a while to feel better.

image Lucy, 12/27/2009
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I was put on zoloft first. It didn't work for me (made my anxiety worse), but I am on lexapro now and I can say I feel 100% normal again. I don't feel anxious at all. I am breastfeeding and on a low dose (started on 10 mg, now I'm taking 5 mg) and it is safe for the baby.

Before meds, I had really bad anxiety and panic attacks. I couldn't sleep or eat. When my baby would nap, I would lay on the couch and my mind would race. My heart beat really fast and I felt sick to my stomach. It didn't seem to matter if someone was around to help me or if I was all by myself. I just felt like I wanted to run, all the time.

I went to my OB first and he referred me to a psychiatrist. She helped me understand that this isn't something I could help. It's not a personality disorder or a character flaw. It's something in my body that is malfunctioning, and I need the medicine right now to get it under control. She said "If you had appendicitis, we would treat that. PPA is no different."

My particular anxiety is triggered by major life events/changes, so I won't need the medicines forever. But I'm definitely glad that I got help. GL!

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"