Postpartum Depression

Went off Lexapro...not sure if that was a good idea.

While I was pregnant I started having panic attacks (1st time in my life).  They continued after I had my baby along with crazy levels of anxiety and some minor OCD type things.  I was on the Lexapro for close to a year and was feeling great for several months.  I went off about a month ago.  The 1st couple of weeks I felt great, but now I'm starting to see some things pop up again.  Minor OCD things are starting....mostly having to do with my house being clean, my DD"s clothes have to be coordinated, etc.  I'm also starting to get really irritated/angry really easily.  My DD is close to 2 so she whines and cries A LOT.  WHen she does this I feel like I'm going to explode....I just feel like screaming.  Especially when I'm trying to focus on something else.  My husband says I'm definitely a lot "edgier" than when I was on the Lexapro.  Im really sad b/c I thought the PPanxiety would be over, but now I can't really blame it on a postpartum thing.  Anyone think I need to go back on the meds?  I jsut thought I'd need them for a while and I'd go back to normal, but this makes me think I'm always going to need them and I don't want that.  Anyone have any thoughts or been through this?

Re: Went off Lexapro...not sure if that was a good idea.

• Gina418Gina418 member
    Maybe talk to your doc about going back on a lower dose - no shame in taking them if you need them. Doesn't mean you'll be on them forever - just means you need them right now.
  • AlibabsAlibabs member

Did you come off them too quickly? My doctor told me that to come off them you need to do it very slowly.

I hope you feel better soon.

imageimage

L-R: Liam (7), Eimhin (6) and Fionn (4)!  (Irish names)
    Too busy to update the pics for now ... :)

• Loading the player...
  • I've been on, then off, then on again with Lexapro. I haven't found many people that have been on it. It's a really good med. It works really well for my anxiety (anxiety associated depression) and minor OCD. I just know I feel way better and people tell me they notice a difference when I'm on it (even tho when I'm off it, I'm a real good faker at hiding my anxiety/OCD!)

Good luck! T&P

• I am going to assume that you are a SAHM?

I have 2 (one year apart) a 2 and 3 year old.  They scream, really high pitched, think its funny and it makes me NUTS!  like I have to leave the room or I'm going to go off on them.  The same thing happens with me, the clothes and the house.  I don't think this is anything more then me being home, having way too much focus on the kids and not enough on myself.

Let the house go a little.  Ask DH for help.

The clothes...well I just recently starting relaxing a little (my daughter's hair is a little messy, I'll let it go)...you have to.  Baby steps.  It doesn't happen overnight.

In the meantime, I fight the urge to go back on 5 mg of lexapro CONSTANTLY, I find that the more I get out of the house during the week the better I am.  Now if only I could get to the gym, then I think it would solve all my problems.

Hang in there, you are not alone.  ANd if after a few more weeks of you fighting the urge and trying, it doesn't help, then go back on a small dose.

The whining does stop.  Just try a different approach.  Count out loud with her and see if that distracts her from the yelling.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"