Pregnant after 35
Options

Introduction

Hello. I joined the bump months ago and then didn't do anything about it.  I was just taken off of work this week (@ 23 weeks) and now have lots of time on my hands and finally came to really get to know my way around The Bump.

I'll be 39 a few weeks after our new baby girl is born, married 17 years with two girls almost 7 & 10. 

I was done having babies. . . and surprise - more like extreme shock. . . pregnant again.  It took me a while to come to terms with being pregnant again.  We gave all the baby stuff away 5 years ago.  Also, I knew that I'd probably have complications and be taken off work early - it's what happens to me.  Honestly, I was and still am a bit scared of being pregnant, although my complications aren't life threatening at this time, a mom in delivery went into cartiac arrest while I was in the hospital delivering my second - it's haunted me ever since.

I love my job teaching at a private school and dearly miss my students - of which my youngest daughter is in my team teacher's class.   I have horrible insurance - I mean REALLY horrible, and no benefits while I'm off work, so actually I might qualify for medicaid while I'm not working.  I don't have a contract so I'm hoping I have a job to go back to after the  baby is born.

Now with that all being said, I am FINALLY starting to get happy and excited about this baby - it just took me a while.

I'm looking forward to meeting you all and sharing this journey we are all on. . .

Amie

imageimage

Re: Introduction

• Options

Hi,

I am a federal employee myself but I know my state has a program for people to obtain health insurance from CareFirst BCBS via the MHIP.  "MHIP is a state-managed health insurance program for Maryland residents who have been unable to obtain health insurance from other sources. MHIP offers its participants access to both CareFirst BlueChoice HMO and CareFirst Blue Preferred PPO networks. These plans are administered by CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield and CareFirst BlueChoice, Inc."  You may want to check the availability of these types of plans in your state.

https://www.marylandhealthinsuranceplan.state.md.us/

You may also be covered under the Pregnancy Discrimination Act via Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 regarding keeping your job.  See: https://www.eeoc.gov/laws/types/pregnancy.cfm 

I'd also check out your protections under the Family Medical Leave Act "FMLA" as well.  I know there may be certain exceptions for teachers.  However, it generally covers leave for employees with "serious health conditions" and pregnancy related complications are included as such a condition. 

Good luck!

Gewel

• Options

Welcome! Sorry to hear about your insurance situation!

Take care of yourself while you'r eon out leave. I know it can get discouraging!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hope the insurance issues get resolved soon.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Welcome and I'm glad to hear you are "coming to terms" with the pregnancy.  I can relate, my situation was similar, total shock, but then we decided to just start embracing it all.  I hope the rest of your pregnancy goes more smoothly and your insurance issues work out!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"