I'm going to start this post with a positive. I love the allergist we see. He spends a lot of time talking through symptoms, causes, solutions, other solutions besides those, what the best first course of action then 2nd then 3rd is, etc. etc. He doesn't just ASSUME anything or talk down to us or try to say it's our fault b/c we night nurse & cosleep.
Most importantly he gave me hope today that there is light at the end of the tunnel even though all news isn't good.
I've been really worried about Ari's increasing number of allergies - we're adding to the list, not taking away, & he's almost a year old. Doc says that's actually not horrible, a lot of kids with multiple allergies will have them come & go over the first 4-5 years of life & that's normal.
Second, he thinks there's a strong possibility that Ari has Eosinophilic Esophagitis (EE) & not reflux. I'm still wrapping my brain around what that is but to put as simply as I can w/ my limited understanding, it means he has inflammation & over concentration of Eosinophilic white blood cells in his digestive system (esophagus particularly). The symptoms are very similar to GERD but are not relieved with standard GERD treatment & have a food allergy component. Increasing food sensitivity & delayed reactions that are hard to pinpoint are common symptoms too. He can't make that dx, only a GI can, & we still have not heard of a cancellation. We're slotted for late Sept still. Good news is he has a good relationship with our GI so they can work together - our GI told me she regularly refers to him b/c he's the only one around who does the atopic patch testing. Unfortunately dx'ing EE means endoscopy which is more invasive testing & I'm wanting to save Ari from more tests. But if he has to have it then we'll deal with it.
Third, we discussed his recent reactions & were able to have more skin patches placed today. Normally we would've had to wait till at least next week but he wanted to get it done ASAP since we're dosing w/ Benedryl left & right, so he had them prep everything while we waited. Since the prick testing wasn't helpful at all last time we totally skipped it. We had 11 patches placed - he basically tested several things that we suspect could be it & even a few that aren't normally allergenic but that we eat often, like apples. He did not have a patch for coconut so we'll have to food challenge that, but he said to hold off till we see our results Friday.
I asked about the food additive in the hummus & he said its more likely to be the chickpeas. I thought they weren't allergenic but turns out they are a soy cousin, if you will, since they are also a legume. This makes sense b/c his reaction was similar to soy - screaming and/or medium level whining all day & night, bright red hives all over, diarrhea. He's been eating hummus & I've been eating that plus chickpeas for quite awhile with no issues, but that's always been how it is - he's great, then he's not.
Patches will be removed Thursday, checked Friday. Hopefully we don't have too many positives, but hopefully we also get some freaking answers.