Postpartum Depression
Options

Experiences With PPA/PPD and Zoloft?

I took everyone's advice about the anxiety I have been experiencing and went and saw the OB yesterday.  He was very understanding and really listened to everything I had to say.  He even thanked me for taking the initiative to come in and said "You're doing yourself a big favor, you have no idea." because so many women try to hide the fact that they aren't absolutely overjoyed with every second of motherhood.

He gave me a prescription for a low dose of Zoloft and said that it should definitely put me right in a week or so.  I was going to go pick up the prescription tomorrow and start taking it because I want to start feeling more like myself before DH has to go out of town on the 17th.  

I was wondering what other people's experiences have been with PPD/PPA.  Also, if you were put on Zoloft, did it work for you and how long did it take for you to see a difference in your mood?  THANKS!

image image

Re: Experiences With PPA/PPD and Zoloft?

• Options
    Yep, dealt with PPD (I would cry every day) and was on Zoloft.  I took a half a pill a day, so a very low dose.  I took it for a month and weaned myself off and was fine.  It didn't take too long for it to work and I felt much better.  Hang in there!  Things will be OK.
  • Options

Typically, the dose needed for anxiety is higher than the dose needed for depression. I worked my way up from 25mg to 100mg over the course of 10 weeks. It generally takes a couple months for you to feel the full effect (again, with depression it tends to be sooner). I'm surprised your doc said it would "set you right" in such a short time. Unfortunately, I don't think there are any super quick fixes. 

Keep in mind your anxiety might increase a bit at the beginning while your body is getting used to it. What dose are you on?

Are you getting therapy as well?

Good for you for reaching out for help!

image Lucy, 12/27/2009
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagejenny1980:

Typically, the dose needed for anxiety is higher than the dose needed for depression. I worked my way up from 25mg to 100mg over the course of 10 weeks. It generally takes a couple months for you to feel the full effect (again, with depression it tends to be sooner). I'm surprised your doc said it would "set you right" in such a short time. Unfortunately, I don't think there are any super quick fixes. 

Keep in mind your anxiety might increase a bit at the beginning while your body is getting used to it. What dose are you on?

Are you getting therapy as well?

Good for you for reaching out for help!

This. Word for word :)  

{Ava 5.16.06} {Ella 12.29.07} {Drew 2.9.10}
  • Options
    I had PPD after my ds was born. I also had anxiety prior to even getting pg but didn't take meds during my pregnancy. Big mistake. I started getting depressed in my 3rd trimester and was anxious all the time. At my 6 week PP check up I told my provider and she put me back on Zoloft. It's worked really well for me, and I continue to take it (I had my dd 6 months ago). I noticed a difference pretty quickly, I would say within a week or maybe even less.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"