1st Trimester
Options

Are toasted deli meats okay?

Before pregnancy I would always have cold cuts for lunch.... haven't since I found out I was pregnant though.   Do you think that toasted deli meat subs are okay... like from Firehouse/Quiznos/Subway?   
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Are toasted deli meats okay?

• Options
    Yes. Still-hot deli meats are fine.
  • Options
    I've eaten them. ?My doctor told me I could eat cold deli meat a couple times a week. ?So far I haven't because I prefer it heated up/toasted. ?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

eat your friggin sandwiches. hot or not. your chances of getting listeria are less than you getting in a car accident if you went down your street right now.

don't start living in a bubble just because you're pregnant.

• Options

I've actually read that deli meats and hot dogs are bad....

https://www.parentsconnect.com/questions/lunchmeat_cold_cuts_pregnancy.jhtml

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers image image Photobucket
  • Options
    Personally my doc has no issues with deli meats.  HOwever, I have heard that for those whose Dr's are concerned with it you just need to heat them so yes toasted are fine.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageSkittles2113:

so do you not eat them even when you're not pregnant?

because your chances are all the same whether you are or not.

listeria cases are so few and far between. seriously, when's the last time you heard of someone you know getting it? probably never. stop believing everything you read on the internet and go get a health book.

• Options
    imageSkittles2113:

FYI-read up about listeria cases. You can google the cdc-there's only about 600 pregnant women who get it a year.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagehmkoller:
    imageSkittles2113:

listeria cases are so few and far between. seriously, when's the last time you heard of someone you know getting it? probably never. stop believing everything you read on the internet and go get a health book.

I never understand people like this.... You want everyone to respect your decision to eat lunch meat but you feel the need to put down people who want to listen to their doctors?  It has nothing to do with reading things on the internet.  It is a personal choice...  And, if you really do some research, you will see numerous studies done at different medical colleges that show the risks of listeria while pregnant.  I don't feel like risking the health of my child so I can have a ham sandwich.

• Options
    Cold deli meat is completely fine! You do not need to heat it up!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

My doc told me to heat the meat up in the microwave just to kill whatever bacteria may be growing on it.  She said even if your body can handle the bacteria it's not worth taking the risk to see if baby can handle it. 

I love Subway sandwiches but hate getting them toasted so I always ask the people to heat the meat up in the microwave before they put it on the sandwich- their reaction is always amusing!

To the girl who wrote so rudely about it being our choice and whether or not we eat it shouldn't change just because we're pregnant- this website is a support group not a put down group.  If you want to be a part of it then be nice.  If you're angry and hormonal then go take some sort of exercise class to get your aggression out- don't do it here.   

• Options
    Kml9876Kml9876 member
    I ate unheated and heated deli meat with my first pregnancy and everything was totally fine. I have a happy and healthy 2 year old. My doctor said eating deli meat once in awhile heated or not was fine. I did look up the rates of listeria when I was pregnant because so many people avoid it. I discovered the same as a pp that I had a better chance of getting in a car accident than of getting listeria.
  • Options
    Someone else posted on here who actually did listeria research as a student. She felt it absolutely wasn't worth the risk. Yeah, your odds are slim of anything happening, but my doctor recommends avoiding deli meats. I did with DD and I will with this pregnancy as well. There are SO many risks I can't control, slim or not, so I'd rather control the ones I can. It's so not a big deal to me to skip a turkey sandwich or heat up my ham. I'm not a huge cold cut fan anyway.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    imagehmkoller:
    imageSkittles2113:

Yes  

I'm hoping there's someone in their first tri w/ your attitude.  If not, please come back here often. 

Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • Options
    Only eat the deli meats if you want your baby to come out looking like a loaf of black forest ham.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageKrystalD7:
    Only eat the deli meats if you want your baby to come out looking like a loaf of black forest ham.

LOL I love Krystal

To OP: Deli meats are fine.  My MFM/Peri (high risk OB, went to school much longer,) said it's totally fine.  They even gave me turkey sandwiches during my many hospitalizations.  

If you want to heat it up to play it safe, then that's what you need to do.  I just can't imagine hot deli meat.  Gag. 

• Options
    imagekdodge423:
    imagedevilingucci:
    imagehmkoller:
    imageSkittles2113:

I never understand people like this.... You want everyone to respect your decision to eat lunch meat but you feel the need to put down people who want to listen to their doctors?  It has nothing to do with reading things on the internet.  It is a personal choice...  And, if you really do some research, you will see numerous studies done at different medical colleges that show the risks of listeria while pregnant.  I don't feel like risking the health of my child so I can have a ham sandwich.

I hope you aren't eating any raw vegetables either, as those are source #2 for listeria.

Quit with the damn paranoia. This should help:

The Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) and the FDA have established food testing and recall programs to protect the public from Listeria contaminated foods. According to the USDA,

Neither FSIS nor FDA will accept any detectable L. monocytogenes on cooked, ready-to-eat food. This is called "zero tolerance" for the bacteria. Both agencies have testing programs for L. monocytogenes. The goals of these programs is to help government and industry identify the causes of contamination in processing plants and to make permanent changes that will reduce Listeria monocytogenes contamination, prevent problems and ensure a safe food supply. Both agencies can hold or detain products at the food processing plant, request a voluntary recall of the product or seize products through court order if necessary.

Another Internet Professor.  Again, I listen to my doctor.  If you want to eat lunch meat, sushi or dog meat, that is your choice.  But do not call people paranoid who chose to skip lunch meat while pregnant. 

• Options
    imagekdodge423:
    imageklregelm:

To the girl who wrote so rudely about it being our choice and whether or not we eat it shouldn't change just because we're pregnant- this website is a support group not a put down group.  If you want to be a part of it then be nice.  If you're angry and hormonal then go take some sort of exercise class to get your aggression out- don't do it here.   

Because someone with 11 posts knows how the community works.

You aren't going to last long here.

Oh shut your face already...I'm so sick of this put down.  Just because she has 11 posts doesn't mean she hasn't lurked for awhile. 

• Options
    sgrlsgrl member

I will never in my life understand why the deli meat posts blow up into WWIII. If you want to eat it, fine! If you don't feel comfortable, fine! Why the hate over some cold cuts? This is the Bump! There's got to be something better to flame than a question about cold cuts! Wink

My doctor's office is pretty conservative and they advised against any deli meat. I ate it, but I had it heated first. Just the meat, because I don't really like toasted sandwiches. By the time I got back to work, it was cool again. The first time I asked for this, the guy behind me in line said his wife was pregnant and did the same thing. So it's not like it's uncommon or freaky. It's very very unlikely that you'll get listeria from deli meat, but I just went with what my doctor told me. Seems like a good policy in general.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"