3rd Trimester
Options

Nickname for Allison

So, we're pretty sure we're naming DD Allison but DH and I disagree on how to spell her nickname.  Would you spell it "Allie", "Ally", "Alli" or something completely different? 

FWIW, we'll be calling her by her nickname from Day 1 so we want to make sure we have the spelling finalized before she's born.

Re: Nickname for Allison

• Options
    most people i know spell it Ali
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Alli, I would spell it the same way it is spelled in her name.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Personally I would spell it Alli.  BTW- Love the name Allison, that is what we were going to name DS if he was a girl.

___________________________________________________________________ Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options

imagegreen bean:

This

• Options

Coming from someone with an uncommon name, (Jalyn) I say go with Allie.  I hate having to spell my name to everyone multiple times!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagegreen bean:

See, that's what I think too but I figured it would be "Ali" if we were spelling her full name "Alison".  Ugh ... why are names so difficult Smile

• Options

I personally would do Allie. But my name is Caitlin and when I nicknamed it in high school I did Kate, rather than Cait.

Allison is beautiful! I wish I could convince DH to use it.

• Options
    I would spell it Alison & Ali
  • Options
    I personally like "Allie".  
  • Options

I really like Allie. I think it is cute. And I'd be singing Elvis Costello's Allison to her all the time. <3 

Uh. Ali = Muhammed Ali. Ah-lee.

Rainbow baby due in September!
    .image
    May Siggy Challenge - Favorite Onscreen Mom
    image  image
  • Options

imageMrsEmm:
    I would spell it Alison & Ali

Same here. 

• Options
    Throughout life I've know maybe 10 or so girls at different times with this name and have mostly seen Allie, sometimes Ally. Never seen Alli or Ali (makes me think of Mohammed Ali).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Also, please remember there is a weight loss medication on the market right now called "Alli". (Pronounced like Ally)
    Rainbow baby due in September!
    .image
    May Siggy Challenge - Favorite Onscreen Mom
    image  image
  • Options
    I like Allie.
    Logan Jack- 6.1.10 and Emmett Weston- 9.29.12 

• Options
    imageKateysomething:

Uh. Ali = Muhammed Ali. Ah-lee.

Ha, ha, that's funny! I never even thought of that!

• Options

imagegreen bean:

This exactly. I have 4 friends that go by this spelling. :)

• Options
    FWIW...Our niece is named Allison and my SIL spells is Allie. I think it's cute, it is a nickname after all, it should be cute Big Smile
    Mom to 3 wonderful Free Birthed kiddos
  • Options

I'm Allison and my nickname has always been Ali.  Although occasionally a clueless family member will write it Allie :)

The funny thing is, my mom picked Allison because she wanted to call me Ali and she never has but my dad does.  The rest of the family calls me Al :) 

Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    We were having the same battle in our house. DD name will be Addyson and we couldn't decide on spelling Addyson or Addison. I want her nickname to spelled Addy b/c we know to little girls that are 2yr. and 4yrs. that Addie..sort for a different name. My arguement was that if her name was spelled Addison people would automatically spell it Addie but by spelling it Addyson her nickname is already in the original spelling.
  • Options
    I always thought the common way to spell it is Allie.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'd go with the "ie" ending because of the Muhammed "Ali" thing, and because Ally = a person or nation with whom you have some kind of peaceful tie.  Probably wouldn't get mixed up, but that's just my two cents.  :-)
  • Options

imageLexi0402:
    I always thought the common way to spell it is Allie.

This. And I agree with PPs:

Ali = Ah-lee (like Mohammed Ali)

Ally/Alli - A-lie

• Options
    I am Naming my daughter Allyson and I am going Ally for short.. I was going for something that no one else has thats why I went with ally
  • Options

Ive always gone by Allie--but it really doesnt matter because EVERYONE will spell it how they want to spell it. Every teacher I ever had spelled it wrong and my moms best friend spells it Ali still. 

Personally I like how mine is spelled because it doesnt look like Ally Cat or Alli the fat pills lol

• Options
    I'm also Allison, but never went by nicknames. If I had, it would have been Alli. But then I'm all for the nontraditional. My mom is Cynthia, called Cyndi as opposed to Cindy.

it's more a preference thing. If you look at her and say Ali, Ali she will be. I think you'll "know" when you first look at her.

BTW, I get called Alicia by people looking at my name so much it's not even funny...maybe it's because there are so few ethnic ladies with my name? ;)

• Options

I'm an Ali!  (and no, not like Muhammed Ali).  Mine is short for Alicia though, not Allison. 

My personal philosophy is that it's a shortened version of my name, Ali(cia).  So if you're spelling your daughter's name Allison, I would go with Alli.  Putting an e on the end has never made sense to me, since you're shortening it, why would you ADD letters that are not even in her full name?  Haha!  She likely won't have many problems with pronounciation, most people I know would know how to pronounce "Alli".  But my family calls me Al and I love it. 

• Options
    imageSeattleMegan:

So, we're pretty sure we're naming DD Allison but DH and I disagree on how to spell her nickname.  Would you spell it "Allie", "Ally", "Alli" or something completely different? 

FWIW, we'll be calling her by her nickname from Day 1 so we want to make sure we have the spelling finalized before she's born.

My name is Allison.... and my nick name is spelled Ally... I don't know how it ended up that way but it did! lol

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We're actually naming LO Alexandra Leigh (both family names) and have decided her nickname will be Allie... so that's my vote! :-)  we just didn't like Ali (make my husband think of Muhammed Ali) and Alli just looked strange to me.  We love "Allie".
  • Options
    My bff's name is Alison (with one l, to me the 2 ls make it seem like it should be pronounced All-ison, but I know this is the more common spelling).  She actually doesn't go by Ali at all, everyone calls her Al :)  Maybe when she was a little kid it was different but we have been friends since we were freshman in hs and she has always been Al to me.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"