North Florida Babies

question about the Downtown Baptist NFL Obgyn

Did anyone use this practice, and if so what were your experiences with the staff?

I have been going to them for the past 6 months and I always see Dr. Barnes, but I have not been able to get comfortable with him. He always seems so distant and busy. At my last visit, I had my standard list of things to ask, and I asked about the pulse oximetry test, and he looked at me as if I was CRAZY and started backing up towards the door! I am sure that is not the most crazy question that he has ever gotten.

My DH wants me to transfer to their south office and the baptist south hospital because it would be closer to our house (we move in about 30 days) for a quicker travel time when labor begins.

I am not sure what to do. Are there any other mommas who can comment?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: question about the Downtown Baptist NFL Obgyn

• I have been a patient there for the past 6 years. I've only seen Barnes once, but have had good experiences. You can request to see others. You should see all of them before delivery.

What pulse ox test where you talking about?

You could call and express your concerns about transferring to their practice at South.

• I actually normally go to the Baptist South practice.  It was just closer to us.  But when I had DS, he was a preemie to we had to get transferred to the Baptist downtown hospital, and thus saw their doctors in the hospital and for my post partum check up.  I saw Dr. McIntyre and she was great!  She was my doctor the entire time (plus a high risk one that was sooo funny) and she delivered DS.  I also saw the NP (can't remember her name) and she was great too.

I agree with pp.  You could request future appointments to be with all the doctors.  The schedulers normally do this in the Baptist South practice.  They want to make sure you've met all the doctors in case your primary doc is not on call on your day.

P.S. the Baptist South practice has two satellite offices.  One in Baymeadows near 9A and the other in Mandarin (San Jose Blvd).

Good Luck!

• Loading the player...
  • I'm not sure what a pulse ox test is, but an OBGYN should.

My only experience is with Baptist South...the practice and the hospital.  I had a great experience with the doctors and at the hospital itself.  PP is correct in that at the Baptist South practice they rotate the OBGYN's so you can meet all of them prior to giving birth so it's not a stranger on the day of delivery.  I like different things about all the different doctors there.

• I have gone to that practice for a while but only saw the ARNP  . So when I found out I was pregnant. Regan  recommended I meet all the Dr's since I may have to see a different one in case I deliver early etc. And  I  would get to know each one. So that might be an idea. Also I know that Catherine McIntyre is at the Mandarin office also so you could  most likely  go to south and keep the Drs.  But I would try to meet each doctor that way you could see each ones point of view  . I have met Dr Boyd and McIntyre so far and liked them. Good Luck and do what feels best for you.

• I am currently going to them as well, and I transferred from Bap South b/c i live in San Marco. I have met all the docs and by far Dr. McIntyre is my fav.

In regards to Dr Barnes- he does seem to be too busy at times, but keep in mind he has delivered over 8,000 babies and knows what hes doing (he told me the oldest baby he delivered is now 38 yrs old). I have seen him a couple times and while not as friendly or personable as Dr Mc or Dr Boyd, he is still a very good doc. Hes just a little more straight forward and to the point.

If it bothers you, request to see only Dr Mc or Boyd (they are both wonderful) I actually prefer Dr Mc only b/c shes female and shes actually been through what we are going through)

If you do decide to transfer Baptist South is a great place. Ive been a patient of theirs when they were still at Baptist Downtown before South was built. Either way, you will be very well taken care of at either location. Good luck to you!

• I saw Dr. Stenklyft at that practice and when he was with Dr. Garcia for YEARS.  He passed away in December so I switched to the practice at Baptist South.  I have not had a problem with them at all.   I like all of them and have only one left to see.  They are a larger practice but it hasn't been a problem.  So far I prefer Dr. Connor, although I think I'm the only one.  (he reminds me of the fertility doctor that got me pregnant. LOL)  They are all good.  If I were you, I would switch soon since they don't always let you switch once you are far into the pregnancy, I don't know the cut off. 
  • Thanks everyone for the advise. I just really needed some venting. Sorry this reply is so late, it seems the closer to delivery I get, the more things fate puts in my way to get done (new temp job, new house, need to move in 3 weeks, yeah I know I am crazy).

My next appt is next week so I will see how that goes. I have the dreadful glucose test. I will ask about seeing other doctors. I am a little apprehensive about changing so late in the game, and I have heard that Dr. Barnes is really good, so that is one of the things that keeps me there. On my first appt I did meet with Dr Mc, and I did love her, but when I go she is never there.

I am going to ask Dr Barnes about delivery stuff, so I will see how that goes.

Thanks ladies! :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I was actually recommended to them by dr. winslow today (actually he specifically sent me to Boyd) but I am too impatient to wait for my first appointment with him so I am see his wife Dr. Mcyntire. 

I have heard wonderful things about that practice, while you should feel comfortable, it might be worth seeing someone else there or just talk to him how you're feeling?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"