Missouri Babies
Options

VBAC Anyone?

I was wondering if anyone out there was trying to have a VBAC...I'm about 20 weeks along and still trying to figure out what I'm going to do.  I'm currently seeing my family physician...I've got some good leads but am not completely sold on anyone for certain.  Just wondered if anyone else was in the same boat or who had a successful VBAC.

Thanks!

Brandy

Re: VBAC Anyone?

• Options
    No idea, but I'll be curious to see what you find out.  I'm def. interested in a VBAC for when #2 comes along.
  • Options
    I would love to have a VBAC if we try again for baby #3. I feel like I have missed out on so many parts of pregnancy while carrying my girls and I would love to someday have a "normal" pregnancy and vag. delivery.
    M E L I S S A My Blog

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one wanting a VBAC!  I thought I'd share with you what I've found from my research so far.  By the way, I'm in the JOCO area so I've been more focused on finding one in our area. 

First of all, if you are ok with delivering at St. Luke's on the Plaza, check out Dr. Bohon's group.  Everyone in her practice does VBAC's (2 docs, 3 midwives).  I toured St. Luke's and was less than impressed.  Since it's kind of a drive for us, I decided it had 2 strikes against it.

Secondly, Jeane Ward who is a CNM does VBAC's at Shawnee Mission.  Unfortunately the C-section rate at SM is like 49% but I've heard that she is successful with VBAC's at SM b/c they have laborists that work with her. 

I am considering hiring a lady who doubles as a nurse/doula to help me labor at home as long as possible and then deliver at Olathe (my first birth was there and I love it).  I want to avoid being monitored 24/7.  I'm actually considering a homebirth, but am trying to figure out if I'm really up  for it. 

That's what I've found out.  Would love to hear anyone else's thoughts. 

GL to those wanting a VBAC...it's way safer than another c-section!

• Options

Hi ladies! Sorry I'm so late in responding. I am currently 28 weeks pregnant and am hoping for a VBAC with this pregnancy. I was seeing a doctor at St. Luke's on the plaza and have realized that even though she says she is up for me trying a VBAC, as are all of the doctors at her practice, I felt like she was going to try to get me scheduled for a repeat section. I think it is very common for OB's to tell you that they are on board with VBAC when in reality they will try to get you to do a c-section at the first sign of anything negative - large baby, going past your due date, etc.

Have you ladies joined our local ICAN group? Here is a link to the message board for KC ICAN. There are a lot of ladies on there who have had VBAC's or are hoping for one with this pregnancy. Here is the link:

https://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/kcican/

I think you will have to request to join but I have been able to get a lot of great information there from other women who have had successful VBAC's.

From that board, Dr. Schwartz at NKC Hospital is very highly recommended. I am switching to his care and my first appointment with him is next Monday at 29 weeks. Very scary but I feel that it is necessary to have the birth that I want with this pregnancy.

A lot of ladies that I have talked to say that a HBAC is the best way to avoid a repeat c-section but I was personally not comfortable with that decision.

Good luck ladies! Let me know if you have any other questions!

• Options
    Oh yeah - Dr. Schwartz also delivers at Research if that is any closer for you? I think some of the ladies on the KCICAN board have experience with Jeane Ward, too.
  • Options
    I know this is a super late response and I hope you see it!  I had a successful VBAC last in March 2009.  It was about 3 yrs after my c-section, which I had because the baby was breech.  The VBAC went fine!! It was perfect, I went into labor on my own and my son was born a few hours later!  My doctor is from Kansas City Women's Clinic and I delivered at Overland Park Regional.  I'm pregnant with my third and will have another "regular" delivery!  Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"