Oregon Babies
Options

2nd Hospital Tour today - so disappointed!

We have a choice between Kaiser Sunnyside and Providence St. Vincent for our deliver - KS is about 20 miles from us and PSV is about 8.  We went on our tour of KS last month and I was really happy with the facility.  Tonight we went on our "tour" of PSV, if you can even call it that - we watched a slide show random stills of rooms and equipment and rode the elevator up to the third floor and that was it...NO viewing of the L&D rooms and NO viewing of the postpartum rooms.  WTF? 

The first thing the tour guide asked was, they told you this was a video slide show that is accessible online, right...I think everyone answered NO.  I just don't understand why the hell they would do it that way.  Just what I wanted was to take rush hour traffic on Hwy 26 to get to what they claimed was a "tour" to watch a video.  Obviously I am annoyed - I feel like it gave me no way to actually compare the two facilities! 

Re: 2nd Hospital Tour today - so disappointed!

• Options
    pdxjennpdxjenn member
    From what I know about both I would say go with Sunnyside. St Vincent's is a great facility, but they do deliver more babies there than anywhere else in the state. It can kind of be a little rushed... like a cattle call I have heard.
  • Options
    joleinejoleine member

I had a fantastic experience at St V's, both in delivery and postpartum.  I don't know if it will help at all, but we took a bunch of pictures in the rooms.. You can see them here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/chibbell/sets/72157623430647284/

One thing I can say from my own experience.. If I had to drive to KS from my house (Cornelius Pass/Baseline) while in labor, I may have killed my husband.  The drive to St V's was painful enough :D

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had a great experience with St. V's but I would encourage you to pick Sunnyside. The only negative about st.v's was the small recovery room that they send you to. After being couped up in a bed for a number of hours/days giving birth, the last thing I want is to be in a cramped recovery room. I've heard Sunnyside keeps you in the same room for your whole day, and they are pretty spacious. I think no matter where you go you will recieve great attention from friendly nurses, and all area hospitals are well equipped to deal with emergencies if one should come up. Just seems like Sunnyside might be more comfortable.
  • Options
    I'm not a fan of Kaiser in general, and don't know anything about their L & D, but I can speak to St. V's.  I was transferred there from Providence Portland because my water broke at 34 weeks.  The NICU out at St. V's and their staff in general (for both me and DD) were all amazing. It was a really great experience for me.  The rooms they transfer you to for recovery are all of varrying sizes, sort of odd, and I was in a bigger room.  DH said the pull out chair that made into his "bed" was super uncomfortable.  And because they do have a TON of babies out there, they are sort of a "baby mill" for lack of better terms.  I had DD at 7:45 pm and by 11 am, they said I could go home if I wanted to.  I opted to stay and that was that.  They never made me feel like shouldn't be there, etc.  I would go there again if I have another baby.  My choice is based on the doctors and the facility, rather than the size of the room, etc.  I hope that helps some. 
  • Options
    I had a great birth at Sunnyside.  Fabulous doctors, nurses, lots of BFing support from lactation comnsultants, and my room was HUGE.  I give everything about it an A+.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I don't know much about Sunnyside, but I delivered at St. V's. I had originally wanted to deliver at Good Sam because the rooms are huge. But, I am SO glad I ended up at St. V's. The L/D rooms are very big. The recovery rooms are smaller, but I was there for 5 days and we had plenty of room, even with visitors. Plus, once your baby comes you won't care how small your room is. Another thing to think about is St. V's has the best NICU in Oregon. That is why I feel so fortunate to have been at St. V's. DD had some issues in the beginning. Either way you choose, you will be happy because you had a beautiful baby!
  • Options
    I've only had one baby so I have noting to compare my experience to, but I LOVED my St V's experience.  The Dr's were fantastic, the Nurses were fantastic.  I have a very restricted diet and even the cafeteria/room service was fantastic.  I was in for just over a week after being induced to to Pre-E. and the inability to get my BP down afterwards.... Sure I got a little claustrophobic, but I knew I was well taken care of.  An example of the care:  my last night there I called down for my dinner, the woman I had talked to most nights answered the phone and when I gave my order, she commented "you get the same thing every other night, don't you get sick of it?"  I told her that things had been so difficult and that I was so grateful that not only did they accommodate my diet, the food was actually good too.  I told her that most nights, my dinner from then was the highlight of my day.  That night there was two of everything on my tray.  
  • Options

i had the same choices when i was pg...im in hillsboro so PSV is much closer the KS, I liked everything about KS but was really not sure about the drive...we went with PSV's...i really really liked it there--a few things to ask for when checking in though is: ask for a corner room both for birthing and for postpartum, ask for a birthing room with wireless monitoring devices (they only have like 1 or 2 at that hospital) let them know ahead of time if you might want to use a tub or anything.

the nursing staff at PSV's was amazing, i loved all our nurses (and i was there for quite a while so i had many many nurses!)

• Options

In the past 4 years I had surgery at St. Vincent and my husband had a longer stay + surgery at Kaiser Sunnyside. His room felt like a typical drab hospital... Mine was an effing SUITE. Seriously, there was a comfy place for him to sleep during my stay but even though he spent 4-5 days in the hospital, I couldn't get anything more comfortable than a rocking chair that didn't fully recline.

I know that all of their rooms are different and I haven't seen the maternity area at either but St. V's has some sweet new rooms.

I can't believe you couldn't see the actual rooms!

Are you having the same OB either way?

Alternative Housewife - Mama style on a budget

Mama to Sebastian, born 9/2010 BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    I also am another one who delivered at Providence St Vincent.  I was very happy with the care I received at both of my deliveries. I was really happy to know that they have a great NICU especially when I was worried that my twins might have to be in the NICU.  I have nothing to compare their rooms to, but honestly the size of the room didn't really matter to me.  I'm not planning on having anymore children, but I would definitely go back there without any hesitations.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    is there anyway you could deliver at Willamette Falls? 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I had a good birth experience at St Vincent's, but the recovery area is awful. I felt like I was staying in a really, really bad motel. The walls were concrete, temp was all over the place, tiny tiny bed and fold out for DH, scary bathroom with half a shower curtain... it was beyond bizarre. The staff there is great, but I will go to a different hospital next time.... it was that bad in that recovery room. =(

GL!

• Options
    I can relate; this was exactly how I felt after our birth tours.  Luckily my OB warned me that the St. V's tour was pretty minimal and that we wouldn't get the chance to see much beyond a slide show and the lobby of the maternity ward.  I'm biased, but I LOVED Kaiser Sunnyside.  Brand new rooms, great space for hubby to sleep (he is 6'4", so we needed a comfy guest bed for him!) spacious, clean, but most importantly the entire staff was so nice and efficient!!  The environment was very peaceful.  There weren't a lot of other moms delivering at the same time that I was, so I felt like I was completely pampered with all of the care and attention we received.  Several of the nurses mentioned to me that this was pretty typical, as Kaiser Sunnyside doesn't deliver as many babies as other area hospitals.  I even received phone calls while I was in recovery from two of my delivery nurses who were off duty...they were just calling to check on me and say hi!  I was so pleased.  Great experience all around.  That said, my sister in law had a high risk pregnancy and delivered her twins at St. V's, and she had a really good experience, mainly due to the NICU and their care.  I think it just depends on what your needs are for your delivery.  Good luck! 
  • Options

I'm a little late in responding but thought I'd let you know. I delivered at Kaiser Sunnyside and I just recently went and visited my friend who delivered at St. Vincents.

Pick Sunnyside, you'll be so happy you did. I thought my recovery room was small (well compared to the delivery room), but oh my gosh St. Vincents rooms are TINY. I didn't know how good I had it.

I also did St. Vincents sorry excuse for a tour. lol I missed the sunnyside tour I had scheduled but sunnyside was so much closer and their L&D wing is so new I choose there and so happy I did. I would have gone crazy in that TINY room. And I delivered during the H1N1 limited vistors. If I had vistors... that St. Vincents room just wouldn't have cut it.

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"