2nd Trimester
Options

A baby shower invite on Facebook? WTH!

Sorry, but I find this tacky.  And, to top it all off, the mother-to-be is sending it and asking for RSVP's. 

I feel if you are asking people to give you items for the baby, you should at least spend some money on a written invitation. I treasure my invite from DS's shower and included it in his baby book.

Re: A baby shower invite on Facebook? WTH!

• Options
    Classy. Confused
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My mom is actually sending some invites for my baby shower on facebook.  Some of my friends she doesn't really know will receive their invites on facebook.  I see nothing wrong with it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    aforstaforst member
    I got a Facebook invite to a baby shower, sent by the mother a couple months ago.  It's DH's cousin that I have met once.  Needless to say, I didn't go.
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I saw this on Facebook, too. The MTB posting her shower and asking for RSVPs. Very tacky but this girl is kinda trashy so I just considered the source!
    Abigail Noelle, 8.29.09
    Brady Phoenix, 8.29.09
    Claire Zoe, 10.26.10

• Options

I guess it would have to depend on how tech-savvy the invitees are...! 

I see no problem sending invites in whichever manner you see fit for the 'type' of guests you're inviting. Liberal v. conservative, internet-savvy v. non-internet-savvy, etc.

But for the honoree to be sending them out?  Definitely not right!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm old fashioned I guess. I think people should still send out real invites (you know...paper, in the mail). They don't have to be over the top expensive....they can be simple. There are a lot of options out there. I don't even like evites (unless it's for something really casual, like a cook out with friends or something).
  • Options
    Tacky is a MTB planning her own shower. FB invites don't seem tacky to me in and of themselves. It depends on the crowd.
    DS #1 Born 10/4/10 TTC #2 BFP 11/26/11 Natural MC 11/29/11 My BFP Chart for #1
  • Options
    I'm old fashion and don't think showers invites should be on Facebook or through ecards and definitely not from the mother!
  • Options
    That is so tacky....that is like sending a wedding shower invite on FB! Just wrong! Indifferent
  • Options
    LCB34LCB34 member
    That is one step tackier than an e-vite for a baby shower.  Print a damn invitation - it's the least you can do.
  • Options
    I may be in the minority here but I really probably wouldn't think twice if I got an invite on FB.
  • Options
    LCB34LCB34 member
    I am even more shocked that people on this board seem to think this is OK.  What has happened to common shower etiquette that FB is now an acceptable way to invite someone to a baby shower?
  • Options
    seems almost like a last minute "OOPS I forgot about you" kind of invite...Now bring me a gift.
  • Options
    delg23delg23 member

imageLCB34:
    I am even more shocked that people on this board seem to think this is OK.  What has happened to common shower etiquette that FB is now an acceptable way to invite someone to a baby shower?

A times they are a' changen I guess. I would never do it. I would not care if someone invited me this way.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    LCB34LCB34 member
    imagedelg23:

imageLCB34:

A times they are a' changen I guess. I would never do it. I would not care if someone invited me this way.

Times can change but FB should never be an acceptable way to send out shower invites unless the Postal Service and any other aceptable form of mailing no longer exists.  Buy a freakin invite and stamp for crying out loud.  Stop being tacky and covering it as "forward thinking".  That last statement is to the general public- not you delg!

• Options
    Welcome to 2010. :(
  • Options
    It never ceases to amaze me how tact and etitquette are being thrown out the window at an increasing speed - especially for baby/wedding oriented occasions.  I just don't get it - if the person throwing the shower(which should NEVER be the mom-to-be) isn't "crafty" go to Target and spend the $20 on invites and mail them out - internet invites of any sort or TACKY for showers/weddings.  I just find that people are L-A-Z-Y, we're all busy, but mailing/addressing invites isn't going to take you more than a half-hour.
  • Options
    I think it's only ok if you don't know an address. But then you can always just message someone and ask for an address for an invitation.
  • Options
    imageBeanie_mrt:

I'd just like to clarify one thing: facebook invites are inappropriate (in my opinion) but in most areas of the country, having the Mother to Be host the shower is not only completely acceptable, it's expected.

That said, I have the cutest little invites from Tiny Prints.  I had my mom send me one just so I could see them :)

Really? What area?  I know it's not common in the midwest where I've lived my entire life - MN, IA., MO. 

• Options
    My problem with Facebook invites is that they aren't personal.  You send them out to a group of people.  I ignore most events on facebook.  If you get an invitation in the mail, its addressed to you so you know you are invited and not you and some other random people.
  • Options
    LCB34LCB34 member
    imageBeanie_mrt:
    imageKimee13:
    imageBeanie_mrt:

I'd just like to clarify one thing: facebook invites are inappropriate (in my opinion) but in most areas of the country, having the Mother to Be host the shower is not only completely acceptable, it's expected.

That said, I have the cutest little invites from Tiny Prints.  I had my mom send me one just so I could see them :)

Really? What area?  I know it's not common in the midwest where I've lived my entire life - MN, IA., MO. 

The entire East coast, most of the West coast, essentially everywhere but the bible belt (Midwest included).  That said, my friends from Chicago and Cincinatti all had their mom host both the baby and bridal shower, so its clearly a region by region thing. 

We've had this discussion here before and having a family member host is the norm.

J - you're confused.  We are talking about the pregnant lady hosting - the mom-to-be.  Not the grandmother!

• Options
    I love printed invites...and my shower host will be sending "real" invitations; however, I would not find a facebook/evite invitation concerning.  It is a great way to save paper and cost!  Realistically, mom and grandma's are the only people who will actually save them after the fact...most will end up in the trash anyways.  Electronically RSVPing is also much more convenient for many people.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I'm torn about this.  If the idea is to prevent creating more eventual clutter/trash and save money, then I think it is smart.  If it is done just to invite every single "friend" to a shower with the expectation of a ton of gifts, that's tacky. 

It's just a baby shower, not a coronation or the academy awards.  It's not the cultural event of the year, so I can't see outrage or offense over this.

• Options
    imageBeanie_mrt:
    imageLCB34:
    imageBeanie_mrt:
    imageKimee13:
    imageBeanie_mrt:

The entire East coast, most of the West coast, essentially everywhere but the bible belt (Midwest included).  That said, my friends from Chicago and Cincinatti all had their mom host both the baby and bridal shower, so its clearly a region by region thing. 

We've had this discussion here before and having a family member host is the norm.

J - you're confused.  We are talking about the pregnant lady hosting - the mom-to-be.  Not the grandmother!

I need more coffee. 

How about: the GRANDmother to be. 

I was thinking, mother of the bride.

Even the grandmother isn't common for the midwest areas I've lived in (and we're anything but the bible belt).  Typically for weddings it's the BTB sister/aunts/MOH that coordinate and for baby it's the MTB's sister/friends. 

• Options
    My host did a facebook invite as well as sent out paper invitations. She used facebook as more of a "Save the Date" type of invitation and a quick way to get the addresses she did not have already.
  • Options

We were invited through evite to a baby shower for my DH's best friend & his wife. I see no problem with it, everyone in attendance is super tech savvy (DH & his friend are both IT managers) so I didn't think twice about it.

I recently attended a wedding where the only thing sent to guests was a save-the-date magnet with their website on it - you went to the site to rsvp, select food preference, check out where they were registered, etc. I loved it and thought it was hip, environmentally friendly, and them - they are both employed in the tech world as well.

Facebook specifically is too casual for my tastes, but using the internet in general for those sorts of things is totally fine by me.

Lookin' Down
  • Options
    imagetweedy218:
    I may be in the minority here but I really probably wouldn't think twice if I got an invite on FB.
    well I am in the minority with you! My friends & I do everything electronically!
  • Options
    This is just crazy!  The mother to be is hosting AND sending invitations on facebook?  I normally just chalk things up to different social norms depending on region, social circles, etc.  But, I cannot imagine this is acceptable anywhere.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We once received a "baby shower in a bag".  An "invitation" to send the person a gift. 
  • Options
    delg23delg23 member
    imageLCB34:
    imagedelg23:

imageLCB34:

Times can change but FB should never be an acceptable way to send out shower invites unless the Postal Service and any other aceptable form of mailing no longer exists.  Buy a freakin invite and stamp for crying out loud.  Stop being tacky and covering it as "forward thinking".  That last statement is to the general public- not you delg!

Lol. I like paper products too much to not do it via mail. I'm feeling like crap because I thanked someone on FB for a gift just because I wanted to tell them right away and I don't know their phone number. But I'm sending out cards right now!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageBeanie_mrt:

I love Tiny Prints. We are having our baby announcements done from there. The past two Christmas cards have come from there too!

• Options

First, the mother-to-be should not be throwing the shower.  Is it possible though that she is sending the facebook invites out simply because the contacts are her friends, and the hostess may not have their facebook contacts?  (It's more or less like me addressing the envelopes for my shower if my hostess didn't have them all, and I was helping out by doing that.)

But as for the shower invites themselves, I'm split.  I like getting shower invites, but I rarely actually keep them.  So, a facebook invite to a shower doesn't strike me as a bad idea, but I'd probably end up printing it out because I want the registry info and the details of the shower (location, time, etc.) with me when I go to the shower.  Usually they're at someone else's place, so while i know how to get to my friend's places, I don't always know how to get to their best-friend-from-college's place, etc.  

So I don't even know if it wins for "eco-friendly" because of that.

But would I turn my nose up at a facebook invite?  No.  Assuming it was done tastefully otherwise, i.e., not thrown by the mom-to-be herself, not a gift-grab for a 3rd child of the same gender, or with big letters saying "cash only!", I would not have a problem with it.  I'm not that hung up on etiquette without a reason.  Yes, a nice invite is cute, but certainly not mandatory.  If it would turn me off from going, it would be because the person isn't someone I'd want to celebrate anyway. 

Then again, I also got a call from an old friend who had moved back to the area with his wife, she wasn't from the area, and they were expecting, and since she didn't know many people, he invited some of his old female friends to make her feel welcome.  He said don't bring a gift (which I ignored) and it was a nice time.  All that and I was invited verbally.  Didn't bother me a bit.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

My cousin sent her invites(to her own shower) out through facebook,

One word.

TACKY 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

It probably isnt ideal to receive an invite through facebook, but invitations are sometimes pricey- maybe they're working with what they have! Maybe she would rather spend the money on nice thank you cards instead of invitations. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I recently got an invite on Facebook to a shower of a girl I haven't seen in over 4 years and have only met twice in my life.  And to top it off it came from the mom-to-be, I guess she is throwing her own shower.  It just seems really tacky in my opinion.
    DSC_2211

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    and to that I'd respond no...
  • Options

imagemollymay38:
    I'm old fashioned I guess. I think people should still send out real invites (you know...paper, in the mail). They don't have to be over the top expensive....they can be simple. There are a lot of options out there. I don't even like evites (unless it's for something really casual, like a cook out with friends or something).

exactly this.  And I'm sorry, if the hostess doesn't have an address, you find it! 

• Options

The mother to be sending it out herself is the tacky thing. Who cares how the invites are sent out!

My first baby shower with DD was planned really quickly. We didn't think we'd make it down to see our family and friends before I had the baby because of DH's work schedule and wanting to save vacation for after she came. Well, we ended up making it down for a long weekend and a couple friends of mine really wanted to throw me a shower but it was super last minute (we literally decided the week before to fly down). They sent out an e-vite to save time and it was no big deal at all. We had a great turn out and everyone was excited they could celebrate with me and I was really touched that they planned such a sweet party on such short notice. Not having a paper invite was the least of my worries.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    JessiUFJessiUF member
    I just gave my sister her baby shower and spent a ton of money.  I ordered 50 invitations but with having to send invitations to all the family out of town that could not come but would still like an invite, I decided to do some online.  I invited a few young people online and all of the older people by a printed invite.  I didn't think it was tacky but I think that is a generational thing.  I get invites to events all the time on facebook and through e-mail.  I hope that people didn't think I was being cheap.  I totally blew my budget on the event but it came out beautiful.  I personally think charging for a shower is way tackier then sending out an online invite.
  • Options

imageJessiUF:
    I just gave my sister her baby shower and spent a ton of money.  I ordered 50 invitations but with having to send invitations to all the family out of town that could not come but would still like an invite, I decided to do some online.  I invited a few young people online and all of the older people by a printed invite.  I didn't think it was tacky but I think that is a generational thing.  I get invites to events all the time on facebook and through e-mail.  I hope that people didn't think I was being cheap.  I totally blew my budget on the event but it came out beautiful.  I personally think charging for a shower is way tackier then sending out an online invite.

1.   50 invites weren't enough for a baby shower??? That's just nuts to me, you must have a big family. 

2.  I think we're all within the same "generation" and most agree on here that evites of any sort for showers are tacky - young or old invitees. Regardless, it sounds like your shower went off without a hitch and noone cared about the invites/evites.

3.  Charging for a shower?  Say whaaaa??? I don't even know where to go with that one, I've never heard of such a thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"