Phoenix Babies

Childbirth classes??

Could you please share where you are taking childbirth classes at?  Right now I'm looking at the one Banner Health offers (since we are delivering at Good Sam) but it's all the way out in Sun City. 

I also looked at this site https://www.agapebirth.com/index.php but I haven't heard anything about it and it looks like it's in a womans home? 

Thank you for your help!

Re: Childbirth classes??

• b15chikb15chik member
    I took the class at banner thunderbird and I honestly knew more from watching discovery channel. I wanted my $80 back. Unless you are looking for some specific method (bradley, hypnobabies, etc) I'd just read books, watch TLC and discovery and research online, lol. Maybe that's just me though...but I didn't learn anything I didn't already know from that class
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageb15chik:
    I took the class at banner thunderbird and I honestly knew more from watching discovery channel. I wanted my $80 back. Unless you are looking for some specific method (bradley, hypnobabies, etc) I'd just read books, watch TLC and discovery and research online, lol. Maybe that's just me though...but I didn't learn anything I didn't already know from that class

I didn't take any classes, and like the PP said that unless your looking for a specific method, I would skip it. DH and I learned SOOO much from the baby shows on Discovery health and TLC....seriously. At least for me, I didn't need any method or help in that department...epidural, relax, and push? That was it...

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • b15chikb15chik member
    imageCandiceNT:

epidural, relax, and push? That was it...

Yeah exactly. You will figure out what works for you and your body when it happens

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I took classes and ended up with a c-section....never had one contraction. I agree with everyone else. I was pissed I wasted 6 nights of my life. I would however, take a hospital tour of good sam if you aren't familiar
    Gabriel 11/04/09 Vincent 9/17/11 Grace 8/02/13
  • I took 2 of 3 classes at Banner in Mesa and 3 classes at Scottsdale Shea.  They were both helpful, especially since I was trying for natural childbirth.  I loved learning the relaxation techniques.  Both hospitals were slightly different in their teachings, but helpful nonetheless. 

The nurse at Scottsdale Shea was hilarious and humor added to the fun.  She's also very matter-of-fact and tells it like it is. 

Maybe I was lucky to have good classes/good nurses teaching.

Take a chance. Take a risk. Take the initiative. Make your wishes a reality and make your dreams come true!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I took the "Prepared Childbirth" class at Banner Desert.  My husband tried convincing me that I didn't need a class to teach me how to breathe and he didn't want to sit through one since this is his second child.  Since it was my first, I wanted to take a class.  I liked it because it gave me ideas of positions to try while having contractions.  I also liked how thoroughly my nurse covered the afterbirth and recovery.  Maybe I wasn't paying attention during health class in high school, but some of that stuff definitely was not covered back then!  

I'm sure I could have got the information from a book, but it was nice to sit in with other expecting parents and have someone give me the information since I'm a busy person and don't have hours to read about 10 different birthing positions.  All in all, I really liked the class.  I found it to be helpful and am glad that I went.   

• My husband and I didnt have much experience with babies so we decided to take some classes.  We took a general baby class at Banner and a breastfeeding class at Mountain Vista Medical Center, which is where I delivered.  We also took the hospital tour.

I think we did get some good info. from the two classes.  Yeah, they were a little lengthy and some of the stuff we knew, but I'm glad we did the classes.  It didn't hurt.

Also, check with your insurance because mine reiumburses me for the cost of all the classes we took.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We are delivering at Banner Estrella and are signed up for a newborn care class as my husband and I also dont have much experience with newborns. The class is only $10. Here is the link that I used to find out all of the classes that were offered though Banner and it lets you know what hospital they offer then at. Hopefully the class is helpful. But if not we are only out $10 for the both of us.

https://weblink.bannerhealth.com/weblink/clSc.do

• I didn't take any classes at all either-I did deliver at Good Sam but didn't take the class they offer.  We have the same due date-so maybe I will see you there! LOLBig Smile
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"