Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Going out of town for 5 days....what do you tell a 2 yr old?

My DH and i are leaving for Vegas for 5 days....the longest i have EVER left him with his grandparents.

To give you a little background, i talk to my DC (who turns 2 in May) just like i would a 7 year old.  I explain things to him and give him honest answers.  he talks VERY well at this point and can understand alot of what we tell him.

Anywhoo....i am not sure how to tell him that mommy and daddy are leaving town??  Unfortunately, we have to leave at 5am, so i will have to say goodbye at his bedtime the night before. 

If you have had to leave your 2 yr old for a few days, what did you say?  Just that mommy and daddy are taking a trip and will be home soon?  Do you think its easier to tell them we are just going to work so that he comforted that we are indeed coming home?

just curious on what others have to say.... 

Re: Going out of town for 5 days....what do you tell a 2 yr old?

• Options

lol

"have fun at nana and papa's!" 

and then they forget about it within 5 mins. bc they are 2.

aidan kincaid (12.19.06) sawyer grace (7.30.08) 
    reese madeline (5.11.10) miller paige (2.6.12)
    girl #5 due december 2013.

13 galveston1

IG: punkfictionv4

• Options

we are going out of town at the end of the month and I was thinking about getting her a little calendar to cross off the days.

Maybe it is stupid but I am the same way with DD.  She seems to pretty much understand everything I tell her (within reason) so I thought I would keep it positive and tell her she gets to go stay at Papa and Grandma's for five days while mommy and daddy go away on an airplane.  I don't know. I will be interested to hear what people say. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagepunkfiction_v.3:

lol

"have fun at nana and papa's!" 

and then they forget about it within 5 mins. bc they are 2.

This. :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers m/c 01-07-10
  • Options

For my daughter? I would say, "Mommy's going bye-bye, but I'll be back soon! I love you! Have fun with Grandma!"

For a seven year old? Something like, "I'm going on a trip. I'll be gone for five days and Grandma will be taking care of you. Have a great time! I'll be home on Friday - you can call me on the phone if you need to, okay? I love you!"

A 2-year-old doesn't understand the concept of "five days," so just leave it at "bye-bye, see you soon." 

DD (8), DS (5), DD (3)
    baby #4 due March '17!
  • Options

so apparently I have been putting too much thought into this. 

:) 

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

yeah, we are going OOT next weekend, and i'll probably just tell him mommy and daddy are going on a trip but we will be back before he knows it.  and have fun with grammy. 

i mean, what can you tell them, really?  if you want to make it easier on your LO, don't make it dramatic.  the last time we went away for the weekend (december), DS was a jerk when we got back, TOTALLY ignored us for a good two hours.  i know he was confused and pissed, and i know that is going to happen again this time (well, i assume it will), but we are still going, and we will deal with whatever we have to when we get back.  have a good time, and don't worry.  they won't remember this anyway.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"