Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Please help: pacifier extinction

Tonight is night 1 of end-cut-off-of-pacifier.  DD has had the paci only at nap/night times since 12 months, but we're going for not at all now.

Two hours in she is still sobbing (despite our comforting).  This is truly her first heartbreak.  :-(  

Any advice on how to comfort/transition her better? 

TIA for any advice.

Re: Please help: pacifier extinction

• I am doing this soon too. DD never used one and since we weaned she wants it for her naps and night time...THis weekend we are getting rid of it....

Sits back and waits for good ideas...

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I'm no help. I can't let DD sob for something she loves so much. She will go to college with it. 
    Samantha Isabelle Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Elle KateLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imagelaurenFaith:
    I'm no help. I can't let DD sob for something she loves so much. She will go to college with it. 

Seriously.  I think DH and I are about to give in.  But then it'll never happen.  So at least your DD won't be the only one at college with a paci.  ;-)

• imagelaurenFaith:
    I'm no help. I can't let DD sob for something she loves so much. She will go to college with it. 

Make sure you start putting a lot of money away for braces!

• imagepigtails1031:

imagelaurenFaith:

Meh, I had braces and never used a paci ;)

I know she needs to get off of it but I just don't have the heart do it. 

Samantha Isabelle Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Elle KateLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagelaurenFaith:

I agree with this.  I'm on my 4th baby and the ones that took a paci all gave them up by 3 years.  I already paid for braces for the one baby that *didn't* use a paci. 

• DS stopped using a paci after 3 months lol but from what some people told me what you can do is snip the very end of the paci off (just a little bit) and let her suck on that for a week or so then cut off a little more and keep doing it until she rejects it.

I dont know how well it works, but someone said that it worked for them. Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagelaurenFaith:
    imagepigtails1031:

imagelaurenFaith:

A pacifier isn't the only reason for braces.....Just keep in mind she will go through a lot of pain stretching her palate and reshaping her maxilla(upper jaw) Sorry for being harsh but are you willing to put her threw that?If so ok ...

• imagepigtails1031:
    imagelaurenFaith:
    imagepigtails1031:

imagelaurenFaith:

A pacifier isn't the only reason for braces.....Just keep in mind she will go through a lot of pain stretching her palate and reshaping her maxilla(upper jaw) Sorry for being harsh but are you willing to put her threw that?If so ok ...

I don't even understand what you're saying...are you saying if she uses a pacifier for extended amounts of time her palate will stretch? I'm kidding about the college part, she's not even 2 relax! 

• imagenilly5:

DS stopped using a paci after 3 months lol but from what some people told me what you can do is snip the very end of the paci off (just a little bit) and let her suck on that for a week or so then cut off a little more and keep doing it until she rejects it.

I dont know how well it works, but someone said that it worked for them. Good luck!

LOL!! 

OP, please disregard this crazy, it is not what will help you feel better while your LO is screaming, right?

ETA:  i meant to quote this post, regarding my statement to the crazy:

oops.

and i dread doing this to DS, but know it will be necessary soon.  the idea of cutting physically, little by little, to encourage LO to give it up on their own seems like a wise idea. 

good luck to you and stay strong. 

• imagepigtails1031:
    imagelaurenFaith:
    imagepigtails1031:

imagelaurenFaith:

LOL  What an ass you are.

My dss had that done and he never used a paci.  

• imageEchowysp:
    imagepigtails1031:
    imagelaurenFaith:
    imagepigtails1031:

imagelaurenFaith:

For realz! 

• imagelaurenFaith:
    imageEchowysp:
    imagepigtails1031:
    imagelaurenFaith:
    imagepigtails1031:

imagelaurenFaith:

For realz! 

Oh and the PP was wrong.  The palette stretching isn't painful.  Awkward at first, but he never complained of pain.  What an exaggerated post to get a point across.  

• I was planning on 18 months, too, but he was so attached I couldn't do it.  About a month ago we put him to bed without it, didn't even mention that we weren't giving it to him  He didn't make a peep, didn't ask for it, nada.  We have been binky free since.  He sees them everyday as his little brother uses one, but he doesn't even try to take Joey's.  So I'd say wait a couple more months.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Remembering Christopher
  • We've been doing this for the last 2 weeks. She was only using it at nap and bed time also.

The first night she sobbed and sobbed and I gave in.

The second night, I was at work and DH got her to bed without it. Most nights, she'll go to bed and not be upset by it, it just takes her longer to fall asleep. There has been a night or 2 when she'll wake up and we give it to her, but it hasn't seemed to mess things up the following night.

But she's been getting up about an hour earlier too which drives me nuts.?

• imageEchowysp:
    imagelaurenFaith:
    imageEchowysp:
    imagepigtails1031:
    imagelaurenFaith:
    imagepigtails1031:

imagelaurenFaith:

For realz! 

Oh and the PP was wrong.  The palette stretching isn't painful.  Awkward at first, but he never complained of pain.  What an exaggerated post to get a point across.  

If you read the response you would see that "A pacifier IS NOT THE ONLY REASON FOR BRACES."

WTF is wrong with you people. I see this allll day long....Once you go to school and get a license then you can arfue with me. But for now you are the crazy because you sound like a bunch of fools.

• imagepigtails1031:
    imageEchowysp:
    imagelaurenFaith:
    imageEchowysp:
    imagepigtails1031:
    imagelaurenFaith:
    imagepigtails1031:

imagelaurenFaith:

For realz! 

If you read the response you would see that "A pacifier IS NOT THE ONLY REASON FOR BRACES."

WTF is wrong with you people. I see this allll day long....Once you go to school and get a license then you can arfue with me. But for now you are the crazy because you sound like a bunch of fools.

You're the one sounding like an ass.  

A paci isn't the only reason for braces, but it's also not a guarantee. 

• imageEchowysp:
    imagepigtails1031:
    imageEchowysp:
    imagelaurenFaith:
    imageEchowysp:
    imagepigtails1031:
    imagelaurenFaith:
    imagepigtails1031:

imagelaurenFaith:

For realz! 

Nothing is a gaurantee...BUT most likely....Sorry but I do not sound like an ass. Your the ass thinking you know what your talking about. Why don't you pull your foot out of your ass and walk away fron this argument because you don't know what the "F" your talking about. 

• imagepigtails1031:
    imageEchowysp:
    imagepigtails1031:
    imageEchowysp:
    imagelaurenFaith:
    imageEchowysp:
    imagepigtails1031:
    imagelaurenFaith:
    imagepigtails1031:

imagelaurenFaith:

For realz! 

Nothing is a gaurantee...BUT most likely....Sorry but I do not sound like an ass. Your the ass thinking you know what your talking about. Why don't you pull your foot out of your ass and walk away fron this argument because you don't know what the "F" your talking about. 

You sound like an ass because the OP was asking how to deal with getting rid of the paci and mentioned that she had a soft heart for her child crying.  Your advice was to mention that if the lady was willing to put her child "threw" (sic) a "painful" stretching of the palette (which, it isn't painful), then that's "up to her". 

Really helpful.  That's why you're an ass.  You're welcome.

• imageEchowysp:
    imagepigtails1031:
    imageEchowysp:
    imagepigtails1031:
    imageEchowysp:
    imagelaurenFaith:
    imageEchowysp:
    imagepigtails1031:
    imagelaurenFaith:
    imagepigtails1031:

imagelaurenFaith:

For realz! 

You sound like an ass because the OP was asking how to deal with getting rid of the paci and mentioned that she had a soft heart for her child crying.  Your advice was to mention that if the lady was willing to put her child "threw" (sic) a "painful" stretching of the palette (which, it isn't painful), then that's "up to her". 

Really helpful.  That's why you're an ass.  You're welcome.

Can't always be a puss the kid will get over it! Call me insensitive Whatever.

If you see what I see everyday you'd understand. As a parent you need to do whats right. You don't just let the kid rule the roost..

• imagepigtails1031:

If you see what I see everyday you'd understand. As a parent you need to do whats right. You don't just let the kid rule the roost..

Are you 10 year old? You have the spelling, punctuation and grammar of a 10 year old.

It isn't easy to get rid of the bottles and binks for some children. Back off.

• imagepigtails1031:

1.  are you a dentist?

2. "puss"?  really?

• 1. stop with the ridiculous quoting

2. pigtails - WTF are you talking about? You make no sense

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Remembering Christopher
  • nm, pigtails.  you're a hygienist.  i'll tell my DENTIST uncle about your tirade.  i'm sure he'll get a good laugh. 

eta:  oh, and to OP.  that same uncle said that my dd's nighttime paci is fine. 

and fwiw, my sister kept her paci at night until 3 yo and she has PERFECT teeth and pallet ::shrug::  she's never had so much as a cavity much less braces so don't worry about that crazycake's nonsense. 

• This, and honestly if she's only using it at nap and bedtime I don't really see the big deal.  It's not like she's walking around with it stuck in her mouth all day and trying to talk over it.  ::shrugs::  Just MHO, but I definitely wouldn't let dd sob for 2 hours over something she'll let go of eventually.  Good luck, op!

ETA:  Oops, sorry!!  Meant to quote McLovin here.

• Call me a "puss" because if my child were crying for 2 hours for a fkn paci then you can bet your ass I would go in and give her one.  

OP I am NOT insinuating that you should or should not give in, I am just letting the over dramatic piggytail know what I would do. 

• I wouldn't let B sob for 2 hours over a paci. It's not worth it.
  • imagevioletvirgo:

nm, pigtails.  you're a hygienist.  i'll tell my DENTIST uncle about your tirade.  i'm sure he'll get a good laugh. 

eta:  oh, and to OP.  that same uncle said that my dd's nighttime paci is fine. 

and fwiw, my sister kept her paci at night until 3 yo and she has PERFECT teeth and pallet ::shrug::  she's never had so much as a cavity much less braces so don't worry about that crazycake's nonsense. 

Yeah, my hygienist friend told me he was fine for now at bedtime and naptime, too.  She's not an idiot OR a know-it-all douchebag.  And she has great grammar and spelling.

I sucked my thumb until I was like, 13 (not proud, but it happened) and I have perfect teeth.  Dentists ask me all the time if I had braces and I never have.  So suck it, pigtails!

Mama to Elliot (11.09.08) and Jude (09.01.11)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • omg pigtails, you might be the funniest crazy person on these boards. Is everything a life and death matter to you? Do you have like, long ranting arguments with your husband over whether the peanut butter goes on BOTH sides of the bread or it's peanut butter on one, jelly on the other?

Just wondering. You seem like a very um...strongly opinionated...person. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagepigtails1031:

I am admittedly not an orthodontist, but my husband is a dentist and in school to be an orthodontist. Apparently there is not study that can prove a pacifier does that to your palette.  

• we just weaned Sam this past week from the paci.  We cut a slit in his paci and he could no longer suck on it.  It just kept falling out of his mouth.  So he carried it around for a day or two and fusses a little while going to sleep.  It was once he got to sleep and woke int he middle of the night that was the problem for us.  We just soothed as best we could, and the first night I let him sleep with me.  Since then, we've been paci free and he's been great.

He had a hard time getting to sleep for naps at first, so I reverted to driving him around, but sans paci.  It helped him establish the habit of falling asleep without it.  Maybe you could try that?  I don't think I would let him cry for too long though, I'm kinda a softie too!  :)  GL!

Oh, and my pedi said not to worry about it if it was stressful, because most kids voluntarily dropped the paci by age two, which is before they can do any real "damage" that would need to be corrected by a dentist.

• this thread is full of stupidity.
    aidan kincaid (12.19.06) sawyer grace (7.30.08) 
    reese madeline (5.11.10) miller paige (2.6.12)
    girl #5 due december 2013.

13 galveston1

IG: punkfictionv4

• I would love to give the OP some advice, but my brain hurts too much from excessive idiocy and overuse of the quote function.

Hmm 

2vc9jsg.jpg

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"