1st Trimester
Options

My mother, laying down the law w/ me preggo

I'm thinkng about taking a 3-5 day cruise end of may.  I told my mom and she told me I am not allowed to travel any where while I'm  carrying her grand child, not even if I stay on the ground or in the state.  I told her I'm sure its safe I would only be relaxing next to the pool and I would clear it with my doc before I make final plans.   what are you guys experiences traveling while pregnant?Smile

Re: My mother, laying down the law w/ me preggo

• Options
    I recently came back from an 8-day roadtrip from FL to NY and back and was fine. Nausea kicked in here and there and I was really tired of course, but it was fun and I'm glad I went. The only bad part was when I experienced 24hrs of spotting while in NY. At that point I just wanted to be home and within reach of my doc for peace of mind. Everything turned out ok, but that was the worst of it. From what I've read, it's perfectly safe to travel this early in pregnancy. Just remember that you may be more sick than normal from the motion of the boat so something to think about. Otherwise, enjoy and bon voyage! Smile
  • Options

i agree with Ali, your mom is going to give you alot of dos and donts but in the end its your baby, your body, your pregnancy.  and it gets worst AFTER baby is born!

I took alot of road trips while pregnant, my mom and dad live 8 hours away and I visited them a few times. I think doctors perfer you to stay on continant after 30 weeks and you cant fly after 33 (?) i wouldnt let it stop you, though the thought of a boat right now makes me feel sick! lol talk to your doctor and if you do go, enjoy the relaxing time before baby gets here!!

Diabetic, 2IF, PCOS; blessed beyond words to be called "mommy" to Drew (6/30/09) and Alynn (5/16/11).
    Parenting author for Women of Worth. Mom Blogger and photographer.

Andrew David: mixed receptive/expressive language phonological disorder, sensory processing disorder, Disruptive Behavior disorder-nos and insomnia.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Last pregnancy I went on a 19 hour road trip with our 16 month old and DH to the beach for 10 days. I was 24 weeks pregnant.

This summer I will be going to the beach again with both DSs and my DH (flying this time!) at 27 weeks. 

Your mom needs to cut the strings!

• Options
    Check with your cruise line, some don't allow PG women to cruise.  We went on a babymoon to Barbados when I was 7 months PG last time. It was great, falling asleep on the beach was wonderful.   Deep water snorkling with the sea turtles was not so fun, I had a hard time catching my breath. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

during my first pg i didn't know i was pg when i flew to myrtle beach--had a hunch while there and didn't know until we were home.  i also flew to pittsburgh during that pg at around 16 weeks.   totally doable.

this time i took a 4 hour road trip with girlfriends when i was 35 weeks pg--got the dr.s okay at my appointment that week.   and it was Dec!!! :)   i say go and enjoy

• Options

Go on the cruise. If anything, wait 2 weeks and THEN go on the cruise, because I'm thinking you may still be feeling a bit of m/s (if you have any) at the end of May.  You're fine now.  You'll be fine in a month.  Do it while you can, before you have a huge pregnant belly or a small baby to take along with you.

We moved across the country when I was 24 weeks.  I drove myself, DH drove our other car, and I was fine.  Then I flew 2 hours to a wedding at 32 weeks - my midwife didn't have a problem with it at all. 

At the end of the first trimester or early second, you're totally safe.  Go.  And tell your mom to calm down and let you enjoy being pregnant or she can carry the child herself.  ;)

If you're truly worried (or you just want to convince your mom and she won't listen to you and the wise ladies on thebump), call your OB and ask.  I guarantee you he/she will say it's fine too.

• Options
    The idea that my mom would get a say is preposterous. I would respectfully put an end to this kind of talk from her now. I'm sure that everything will be great for a cruise then, but the hard truth is that if something does happen, it would've happened anyway and there is not much that can be done that at that point. Live your life well and enjoy this time!
  • Options
    kg_08kg_08 member

She's saying you can't go anywhere your entire pregnancy? It's YOUR pregnancy. Go wherever you want! I'm leaving next week for a 20 hour car ride to Michigan. (I'll be 26-27 weeks).. The only thing my midwife told me was to get out and walk around every couple hours to prevent clots. Also most airlines will let you fly until about 36 weeks.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I flew to Australia in my 1st trimester (the day after my first appt, actually) and to Boston in my 3rd trimester, with lots of day/weekend car trips in between.

• Options

::lurking::

I flew from FL to Rome at the end of my 1st trimester. It was perfectly fine. You don't have to worry about travel restrictions until late in your pregnancy. Tell mom to chill out! 

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

imagejaa9/13:
    I'm thinkng about taking a 3-5 day cruise end of may.  I told my mom and she told me I am not allowed to travel any where while I'm  carrying her grand child, not even if I stay on the ground or in the state.  I told her I'm sure its safe I would only be relaxing next to the pool and I would clear it with my doc before I make final plans.   what are you guys experiences traveling while pregnant?Smile

I think the most important thing is to tell her that you can do whatever you want with your child

• Options
    I'm going to be moving to England in July or August... I'll be 5 or 6 months then. I think thats much more traumatic than a cruise :-)
  • Options
    Ignore your mom - go on the cruise!  Your an adult!  Besides, once the babies here it might be awhile before you go again!
  • Options
    We traveled a TON while I was pregnant with DD -- boats, planes, long car rides... we did it all (and I was totally fine).I flew across the country at 7 months, and took lots of 1-2 hour car rides up until giving birth.  As long as you are comfortable, there is no reason not to travel (unless the doc tells you not to of course). Have fun and relax!!! Once LO comes, it's a little harder to do.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I am taking a 12+ hour flight to Maui from Boston when I will be 29 weeks.

My last pregnancy, I flew back and forth between Boston and Denver until 36 weeks exactly.

I would put a stop to your mom's behavior now, because it will only get worse after YOUR baby is born

• Options

I just got back from Punta Cana. I travel monthly to Boston for work and will continue to do so until my 35th week. We'll probably go on another vacation before I'm due.

• Options

I'm thinking if your mom is like this when you're pregnant, I would hate to see what happens when the little one comes. Sounds like you may need to get a permission slip to take him anywhere.

Traveling during pregnancy is perfectly safe. In fact I'm heading to Paris on Tuesday for a much deserved vacation. I also travel a lot for work and plan to fly as long as I possibly can before baby comes. 

As for a cruise, that's a different story but because I personally think cruises are a little gross -- I had to do research on legionnaire's disease once for work and that resulted in me never wanting to go on a cruise ever. But it's your choice...go on vacation!

• Options

I think your mom is over-stepping her bounds.  And, I think it is perfectly to travel thru your pregnany.  I took a business trip which included flying in my 35th week.  But, I have to say, though, that the thought of being on a cruise, with limited medical attention available for days would make me nervous.  When you're on a road trip or if you fly somewhere you are generally still near a hospital if something bad happens.  But, on a cruise....what are your options?  I'm sure there is a Dr. on board, but.....

Chances are that NOTHING will go wrong, so it's only me being super-paranoid to think of it that way.

• Options
    Ladies,  that for the replys, My mom actually caught me by suprise with her response, but I know this is my pregnancy and I do what I want I just though her response was funny.  I did think about the boat making affecting me but maybe I'll just fly to a beach destination instead.  thought of just laying out  and doing nothing is vey appealing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"