Babies on the Brain
Options

Question about newborns + their blood sugar levels?

A girl I went to HS with just had a baby (full term) and he's in the NICU due to his blood sugar being low.

What causes that?

(Tell me to google it and I may punch you kthanx::smooches::)

TTC #1 - Cycle 29 - BFP!! 03/05/10
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Blog BFP Chart Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Question about newborns + their blood sugar levels?

• Options
    not a clue.
    TTC#1 Chart
    TTC#2 Chart
    IUI #1 - #4 (repronex trigger) = BFN
    IUI#5 on 10/28/2008 ** BFP 11/10/08 ** EDD 07/21/09 *** It's a GIRL (07/14/09) AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    med/treatment free BFP 06/28/10. EDD 03/05/11 *** GIRL #2 (02/23/11)
    beta#1 @ 17dpo = 1296 .... beta#2 @ 19dpo = 3034
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    it's the Bug and Baby Belle!
  • Options
    Was the baby really big? O was big (9 lbs 9 oz) and his sugars were a little low. They monitored him (though he didn't need the NICU, thankfully) and told me that big babies sometimes have trouble regulating sugars at first. I didn't ask why or investigate, though.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Her FB status says he was 8lb 11oz.
    TTC #1 - Cycle 29 - BFP!! 03/05/10
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Blog BFP Chart Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Usuallly its that mom haf GD. Baby gets used to the high blood sugar and his body makes a ton of insulin to compensate. Once he's born, the high blood sugar is gone, but his body is still making losts of insulon and hsi blood sugar crashes. Pardon the typos, on my phone.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagearmandos_girl:
    Usuallly its that mom haf GD. Baby gets used to the high blood sugar and his body makes a ton of insulin to compensate. Once he's born, the high blood sugar is gone, but his body is still making losts of insulon and hsi blood sugar crashes. Pardon the typos, on my phone.

This exactly, (sometimes mom won't necessarily be diagnosed with GD, but had sugars riding high at the end) and I'll just add that it typically corrects pretty quickly, and the little ones do fine.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    While I didn't have GD or a big baby they also monitored my DD's blood sugar because she was small (5lbs 12oz with suspected IUGR)  She didn't need the NICU because they were ok after being fed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"