Austin Babies

HELP insurance dummy here...

OK so i accepted that assistant band director position and now we are getting ready to get insurance stuff ready...wow, is it a SHOCK at how much it costs!

so our monthly options are:

Level I: $1200 deductible and $0 co-pay

- with kiddos around $200

- adding DH more than $500 

Level II: $500 deductible and $20 (i think) co-pay

- with kiddos around $450

- adding DH more than $750 :-O 

what we are looking at is which is the better option (we are a fairly healthy family as far as visits and such) but that $750 is a lot if we are seriously looking at DH quitting his job and staying at home.

is it worth it to take Level II or should we just try and save with Level I?

we are now considering DH keeping his job and just going part-time and switching to part-time insurance (this will also help bring in a little supplemental income and DH will be able to pay his car payment so i can buy a car!) 

SO...HELP! like i said, i am a dummy and this being my first time really doing this, i would really like ya'lls thoughts or opinions or experiences PLEASE!

tia Ladies <3 

<3 Mommy to Markhas Aiden 10-4-06 Born at 29 weeks & Spontaneous Twins, Mackayla Grace and Braylon Deion 3-12-10 Born at 36 weeks 1 day <3 <a href="http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e78/sejabernathy/?action=view&current=Untitled.jpg" target="_blank">PhotobucketMY B.L.O.G. Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersa> Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: HELP insurance dummy here...

• Is there a percentage you'll have to pay at every appointment or do you have to pay the full amount until you meet your deductible? Is the deductible per family or per person?
  • I would probably do option 1 and put at least 1200 in my FSA (flex spending account) so that I won't see it and I know that I'll have enough to cover the entire deductible. I also like the idea of your DH working part time to get part-time insurance and bringing in extra income if ya'll can swing that schedule.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageNessia:
    I would probably do option 1 and put at least 1200 in my FSA (flex spending account) so that I won't see it and I know that I'll have enough to cover the entire deductible. I also like the idea of your DH working part time to get part-time insurance and bringing in extra income if ya'll can swing that schedule.

I wouldn't necessarily do the 1200 in flex. You don't get that money back if it's not used and if you're just paying copays for pedi visits and stuff, you won't come even close to 1200. 

• hmmmm....i don't know if i agree with mc. we put more and more each year in fsa and have never not used it. it normally is gone half way thru the year.  and if you still have money, you can buy aspirin and other medical stuff (never had to do that, but i know it comes up on my receipt at walgreens alot). 

don't feel like a dummy--it's complicated.  call and talk to someone and tell them your situation.  sometimes they have a website that will even tell you which plan is best for you! you plug in your family stats and how often you go to the doc (you know if you have continuous medical probs or recurring stuff) and it will tell you which plan is best. 

if your insurance doesn't have an interactive website, then i say call 2 different times (so you get different people--sometimes one is better than the other rep) and ask.  they work for you! don't feel dumb! they can help you choose.

09/21/09 and 08/16/2011 image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"