Indiana Babies
Options

Anyone ever made their own Moby?

I have a friend who SWEARS this is not only possible, but easy.  Anyone actually done it (of course she hasn't, lols)?

Re: Anyone ever made their own Moby?

• Options
    I haven't, but several people I know have.  They all say it was easy.  It seems like it would be easy, it's just one long piece of fabric.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm sure it is easy!!  I imagine there's very little sewing involved!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    No, I ended up paying full price for mine...boo!  I am going to make one for my friend who is having a baby in August.  All it is is jersey knit fabric with the edges hemmed so it doesn't unravel.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I have and it's so easy!  It can also be no-sew. 

All you need to do is buy 5-6 yards of jersey fabric.  When you get the fabric, make sure that it's the type of jersey that rolls at the edges when cut.  Just look at the previously cut edge to tell.  That type of jersey doesn't fray so you won't even have to hem the edges!  When you buy it, the fabric will already be folded in half length wise.  Cut down that fold so that you have 2 long (5-6 yards x ~30 inches) pieces of fabric.  This gives you 2 mobys!  That's really all there is to it. 

Easy peasy.  If you wanted to hem the edges, you could.  Although I've been using mine for a while and there are no frays and you can't tell that it's not cut perfectly. 

I've also taken a piece of ribbon and cut it about an inch long and stitched that in the middle.  You don't need to do this, but the real Moby has a tag at the middle (or some have another panel of "pretty" fabric).  You need the middle as a starting point on some (or maybe all - idunno) holds so it just made it a bit easier but it's a necessity.

As far as buying fabric, check around at different fabric stores in the clearance section.  I got mine on clearance for $1/yard.  So, I paid $6 and have 2 "moby" wraps out of it.  Can't beat that! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Holy cow.  I'm totally going to try it!!!  Thanks!!!
  • Options

A coworker is making two for her DILs.  It seems easy enough, especially if you use the no-fray fabric. I think she's going to sew a small pocket in the center to have a place to put a toy/pacifier, plus to make it easier to find the center.

The entire Moby instruction booklet is online, which is nice!

• Options
    We made ours.  It was $20 for two "Faux-bys" as we call them. Wink  The hard part was finding jersey knit fabric!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"