Breastfeeding
Options

Water hose vs. trickle

My right boob is amazing. :) Everytime I pump I get around 4 ozs. My left boob, however, sucks. It barely trickles when I pump...I normally end up with around 2 ozs if I pump for 17 minutes. What's the deal? DD takes 5 4oz bottles while I'm at work, and I'm struggling to keep up! Any ideas or advice?

Re: Water hose vs. trickle

• Options

Wow! You're doing well! I'm lucky to get 2-3oz out of my good boob, and 0.5-2oz out of my slow one. My baby drinks about 20oz while I'm at work too, so I pump at night before I go to bed every night (including weekends). This helps to bump up my supply...

Also, one lactation consultant told me that it is more important to pump frequently than it is to pump for a long time each session. So, now I pump four times when I'm at work (8am, 10am, 12pm, 3pm). I don't get enough each time, but I hope it's helping with supply!

And I eat chocolate when I'm pumping (sometimes). I read that it can help with relaxing and then you get a better letdown. Or, that's my excuse anyway...

Good luck! 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    You've got "one stud and one dud" as my LC put it.  Lots of people (myself included) do, it's normal.  I pump in the morning after DD's first feeding.  I use the handsfree attachments and do it while I get ready for work and put on makeup.  I get more milk with that pumping than almost any other time of day (DD only eats from one side but I pump both).  That's how I get extra milk each week.  Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    As pp said, it's normal.  My left boob USED to produce the most.  These days though, it depends on which bood LO nursed from as to which one gives the most milk.  This morning I pumped 5.5oz from my right boob, but this afternoon I only got 2oz. 
  • Options
    I get twice as much from my left than my right. All the time. I hate it. 
  • Options

Sounds like your DD could be quite overfed while you are at work.  She is getting during your work day what some babies drink in an entire day.

The research tells us that exclusively breastfed babies take in an average of 25 oz (750 mL) per day between the ages of 1 month and 6 months. Different babies take in different amounts of milk; a typical range of milk intakes is 19-30 oz per day (570-900 mL per day). 

https://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"