Parenting after a Loss
Options

My baby is on a diet :(

Well, not really a diet, but she has some restriction. Doctor said she is gaing weight too fast and i am over feeding her. But what am I to do if she acts like shes hungry? She's telling me that she is used to me feeding her like this and that shes not really hungry. Hmmm. So I have to break the middle of the night feeding which will be hard because i've tried to just pat or rock her back to sleep but she wont go unless she gets some milk. So last night I gave her 4 oz instead of 6 and she went back to sleep. So I guess I can give less and less each night, kinda wean her off. And now she is to have no more than 16 to 24 oz a day, and only three meals, juice and water in between if she seems hungry. This is going to be a task. Please pray for me. I think I am the only one here with an overweight baby so I'm in this alone :(
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: My baby is on a diet :(

• Options

I'm sorry :(  That sounds rough!

24 to 32 ounces per day is "normal" intake for a baby through six months of age...  We usually don't see it drop below 24 ounces until 9 months or later.  16 ounces seems very low for your baby's age.

There is no evidence that overweight babies become overweight adults, so there is really no good medical reason.

I do agree that some babies are overfed.  But there are gentle ways to cut back.

For your night feeding you could try to offer water in a bottle and see if she'll go back to sleep with that.

GL!

BFP#1 May 17, 2008
    Surgery for ectopic pregnancy June 3, 2008
    BFP #2 September 25, 2008
    Baby boy born June 4, 2009 at 40 weeks
    8 pounds 13 ounces and 23 inches
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP #3 February 6, 2011
    First U/S February 25, 2011 = TWINS!!!
    Boy/girl twins born October 4, 2011
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm sorry, but I think that this is ABSURD!  I would most certainly seek a 2nd doctor's opinion.  There is no such thing as an overweight baby - in my opinion, and I think they should eat when/if they're hungry.  Restricting her food intake - if she is in fact hungry seems outright mean - I can understand wanting to do less feedings if she's not actually hungry, but...

I guess I just can't believe a doctor would say that a baby is overweight!!

Doesn't chubby generally mean healthy when it comes to infants?? 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageBleeding_Heart:

I'm sorry, but I think that this is ABSURD!  I would most certainly seek a 2nd doctor's opinion.  There is no such thing as an overweight baby - in my opinion, and I think they should eat when/if they're hungry.  Restricting her food intake - if she is in fact hungry seems outright mean - I can understand wanting to do less feedings if she's not actually hungry, but...

I guess I just can't believe a doctor would say that a baby is overweight!!

Doesn't chubby generally mean healthy when it comes to infants?? 

Well, she didnt uses the words overweight, she just said she's gaining weight too fast. The overweight was my wording! She wants her to slow down on how she is gaining. She gained 2 lbs in three weeks and she said thats too much. I'm not going to not feed her if she is screaming her head off, but I guess I cant just try to give her the bottle everytime she hollers!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Dylan was gaining about 2oz per day. Average gain is 1oz per day. Doctor mentioned it but wasn't concerned because he's also growing in height like crazy. His weight gain really slowed down about 3 weeks ago when we introduced solids. He naturally is taking in less formula. I think I remember that you haven't started solids because of her weight. Maybe you should?
    After 2 m/cs, dx October 2008 with hetero factor v leiden & mthfr & low progesterone; third time was the charm - BFP 3/19/09 on first cycle of clomid. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

That does NOT seem like enough ounces for her age!  Hmmmm

My DS is a HUGE one too.  He's 5 1/2 mo and weighs probably 20 lb (he was 19 1/2 about a week and a half ago).  Around 2 mo. he was gaining too fast and she told me the same thing...I had to give him 4 oz instead of 6-7 each time.  She said to make the bottle 5 oz, but only 4oz of BM (I EP) or formula....to make it seem like she's getting more.

DS is sleep trained (as of 3 1/2 mo) and STTN from 6-6, but he gets 4 bottles/day.  6am, 10am, 2pm, 6pm (roughly).  They are all 8 oz (so 32 oz). 

I thought babies couldn't overeat, but I'm with you...they can!  I do agree that she is eating b/c its there (if a brownie was in front of you, would you eat it?  Of course!). 

I would get a 2nd opinion honestly.  That seems like too few ounces for the age. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers 1st m/c July 2008, 2nd m/c December 2008, Baby boy born in 2009!, 3rd m/c (c/p) June 2011, 4th m/c September 2011
  • Options
    Trust your gut and fire that doc. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"