Austin Babies

important words to teach your toddler...

...regarding safety.

DD knows "bugs" and I've been very thankful for that on many occasions recently.  She's stirred up fire ant beds when walking through the yard and she has yelled "BUGS!" -  letting me arrive in time to sweep her away from the mass of angry ants looking for revenge.

Oh, and we've had a bit of a spider problem lately.  She was sitting by the back door, yelled "BUGS!" and I discovered one of these pesky spiders inches away from her fingertips.  That was the 2nd spider I needed to kill in several days.  These were brown, kinda furry and "juicier" if that makes sense.  Well, I had DH kill another one of these last night - and as soon as he saw it he said "that's a brown recluse", and a quick google image search confirmed this.  Um, yikes? Calling the exterminator TODAY.

About 50% of the time, she'll respond to "stop" when running, so we're still working on that one.  She is really good about seeing fire/smoke/the oven/fireplace and saying "HOT!". Anything else I need to start teaching her to avoid dangerous scenarios at this age (18mo)?

I can't wait for this spider-ancy-agitation to go away.  I can't feel a breeze from the ceiling fan without thinking something is crawling on my leg....

Re: important words to teach your toddler...

• I'm impressed.  Layna says....uhhh...No!  and Shoes! 

Not very helpful in emergency situations.  Unless her feet are cold :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Jake told me there was a snake in the backyard yesterday.  Sure enough- 3 ft.  I'm so glad he had JUST had his snake lesson at school and knew not to touch it. We had one on our front porch and one in our back yard yesterday.  They are coming in from the ranch we back to and I am NOT a fan.
    Jacob David (01/07), Matthew Isaac (12/08) & Kasey Elise (9/10)
    WEB
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh God! Why did I just wikipedia that spider?? I recently moved here, are these things everywhere? : : skin crawls with you : :

I have no experience with wee ones yet so I have nothing to suggest other than "HELP" for an all enclusive toddler safety word. You're daughter sounds ahead of the curve though, how many words does she know?

• At that age that is really good. Emma was saying Help too. Which is great. Also if No isn't working when you want her to stop you might try Freeze. Emma responds better to that thinking she is playing some sort of stopping game.
  • Ugh and I was just getting over my paranoia of the outside...

It's great that she is able to tell you when she needs you like that! Leo isn't quite there yet, I basically just have to watch him like a hawk to make sure he doesn't run into any trouble. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • DD#1's daycare taught all the kids the word "help" around 1 year old and later "I need help". Good words to know.
  • DS knows lots of words, "Hot" and "Bugs" being among them.  He also knows "jackass".  Embarrassed
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"