Special Needs
Options

Help for my nephew - incomprehensible babbling @ 22 months

Hi all!  My nephew will be 22 months on Tuesday.  I've asked your help for him before, but my concern grows each time I see him.  He has VERY few words - Pop (for his grandfather - my dad), Dada (for both my brother and SIL), and uh-oh.

Otherwise, he speaks in totally incomprehensible babble.  He will look right at you, say something that is totally not in English, and expect that you should know precisely what he is saying.  My other concern is that he doesn't like his hands to be dirty.  He wipes his hands after each bite of food.

He is receiving EI services through this county (speech and OT), and he has a developmental eval on June 4 with Kennedy Krieger Institute in Baltimore.

Has anyone else experienced this type of speech where he seems to be saying something very specific, but it is definitely not words?  All my SIL, mother and brother can tell me is all the stories where people tell them about their child who didn't speak "on time" and who is normally developing now.

However, I used to work at Kennedy Krieger and I have some serious concerns about my nephew.  I am worried beyond belief.  And I'm looking for some reassurance or guidance.  TIA!

Allison
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Help for my nephew - incomprehensible babbling @ 22 months

• Options

DS#1 has apraxia.  At times he will look at you and basically "say" a complete sentence.  Only most of the time I can guess one or two words.  When you ask him to say something back to you (a word) he will but it will sound nothing like what you said.  This is apraxia.  His brain knows what he wants to say but it basically gets lost on its way out.

HTH
    Heather

Wonderful DS#1 9/14/06** Wonderful DS#2 3/29/08**

Natural m/c 3/28/10 5w6d** Natural m/c 9/4/10 5w4d**

BFP: 2/27/12. u/s showed blighted ovum at 9wks Natural m/c started 4/11, cytotec 4/13/12 (at 12 wks). **

First appt with RE 5/7. Testing complete. Dx: luteal phase defect

BFP 10/25/12. u/s on 11/16 confirms heartbeat image

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    imageSeptmomtobe:

DS#1 has apraxia.  At times he will look at you and basically "say" a complete sentence.  Only most of the time I can guess one or two words.  When you ask him to say something back to you (a word) he will but it will sound nothing like what you said.  This is apraxia.  His brain knows what he wants to say but it basically gets lost on its way out.

HTH
    Heather

I'm just lurking here, but your post caught my eye.  I agree with this poster...our good friends have a son with apraxia and it was very confusing at first.  But they have participated in heavy EI and his speech is much improved at age 7.  In all ways other than speech he is a regular 7 year-old.  I was talking to her on the phone a few months ago and I heard him in the background saying, "See you Mom, Love you!" and it was awesome.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sounds JUST LIKE my son. Gabe seems to think you know what he is talking about, but really is just babbling. He gets frustrated, we get frustrated. He also has 'OCD - like' tendencies. We will see in time about that, but he was diagnosed with PDD NOS and speech apraxia.
    imageimage
    You will forever be my best friend. I can almost feel our hugs. I will ensure everyone will know (now and in the future) what a genuine, kind, loving person you were...I already miss your laughter and our daily conversations. I love you, Samantha. May 20, 1983- February 20, 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"