High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Low platet count at last blood work any insight for me?

I had my dr appt yesterday and she wants me to have my bloodwork redrawn because my platelets were low.  Any one that can give me any insight would be great.  Sorry to butt in to this board I usually post on Pregnant after a loss.  Thanks so much!

Re: Low platet count at last blood work any insight for me?

• Options
    Platelet levels can fluctuate for a variety of reasons.  Some pregnant women get pregnancy induced thrombocytopoenia (low platelets during an as a result of pregnancy).  They are probably just checking your platelet leves to determine whether or not they were just temporarily low for some other reason or if it looks like you could have the thrombocytopoenia I mentioned above.  I would imagine they will want to monitor your platelet levels for a while just to make sure things are ok.  If you do have consistently lower platelets than they would like there are some treatments that can give you, but they may decide your levels aren't low enough to warrant treatment.  Having low platelets at the time you need to deliver can affect things like whether or not you can have an epi, a c-section, etc. or whether they will want to give you treatments leading up to delivery to prevent bleeding.
  • Options
    I had low platelets with ds.. I had Hellp syndrome. You would have other symptoms though.. possible nasea, vomiting,swelling,protein in urine, high bp, upper right quad pain right below your right boob... you would know something is wrong.... its an issue with your liver and low platelets.It goes along w pre e. If you get any of these symptoms call your ob asap. I am not trying to scare you.. sorry I cant be of more help... gl!
    DD 11/5/10 born by c section DS 9/8/07 born by c section due to Pre-e/Hellp Syndrome m/c at 5 1/2 weeks 8/4/06 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"