Breastfeeding
Options

BM bottle on the go question?

Hi All:

So we're expecting the arrival of our LO and I plan to breastfeed for the first 3-6 months. I absolutely want the baby to have the best milk and nutrients it can. However, and please don't flame me, right now I am not totally comfortable with the idea of breastfeeding in public for myself, even in I use a blanket to cover me. So I'd like to try and eventually bring pre-pumped BM when going on an outing. 

This may be a stupid question but if I put some in a bottle and put it in diaper bag to take with me on the go....how long can it last unfrozen/refrigerated? Sorry if that's a silly question!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: BM bottle on the go question?

• Options
    recommend going to kellymom.com  tons of nursing resources
  • Options
    General rule of thumb is 5 hours... if you're out in hot weather it would be less than that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I can't imagine anyone would flame you for thinking you may not being comfortable BFing in public.  I wasn't sure how I'd feel about it either and turns out I don't like it for various reasons.  Some women feel very comfortable, others don't - no worries either way! 

Freshly expressed milk can be kept at room temperature for 8 hours or so (less if it's a hot day).  If it was previously frozen, I think it's good for a shorter period of time than the fresh stuff (anyone back me up on that?) but still a couple of hours at least. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

There's nothing wrong with being uncomfortable about nursing in public.  I thought I would be very self conscious about it, but changed my mind and just did it (with a cover) when I needed to.  So you may change your mind.

But if you don't, just keep in mind that you need to pump whenever baby has a bottle of expressed BM.  If you were just out for a short time and needed to feed baby a bottle and then you could go right home and pump, that would probably be ok.  But if you were going to be out for an extended period of time, you would need to pump.  That's why I love the convenience of nursing with a cover, no bottles, no formula, no cleanup, etc =)

• Options

Fresh BM can be stored in your diaper bag up to 12 hours at room temp (70 degrees)...obviously less if its hot out.

• Options
    I was the same way when LO was first born. Most pumps come with a small "cooler" so what I did was put the milk in a storage bag, and place that in the little travel cooler with an ice pack, or frozen veggies work too. When LO needed it I would run the bag under warm water (so much easier then trying to warm the bottle in a public bathroom sink) then pour into the bottle. We use the BreastFlow bottles and haven't had any trouble with nipple confusion.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

thank you all for the wonderful support!!!! GREAT ADVICE!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"