Military Families
Options

Probably a dumb question...

How do you all meet friends when you PCS and do not live on post?

When we moved to Germany I was extremely lucky and met so many amazing people.  My closest friend there I actually met within a month of being there and she was the one that was in the delivery room when I had my daughter.  

So far here I am having a hard time since we do not live that close to the base.  Where we live I don't really see the families around that much and it isn't a huge area.  I am missing all my friends I met in Germany and just want to get out for lunch etc like I use to!  There is one person here that moved here when I did from Germany so at least I know her but we are not close...at all.  She was more of a friend of a friend and we would talk when we would see each other.  I don't know why it seems so hard here. 

Re: Probably a dumb question...

• Options

Military Spouses Message Boards, Facebook.. Also I go to the Dog Park, and made a couple good friends there!

Also have you gotten in touch with your FRG, it helps to get involved in that..

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Maternity tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

Well, we live on base, but I moved to grad school in another state a few years ago, and I only knew my dog.

I ended up first meeting some girls from a platonic friend post on craig's list. The post I answered said something like "I dont know anyone, and would like to get a group of girls together" like 10 of us met up at Starbucks, and hung out off and on while I was there. I know people who have used meetup.com or something similar.

I also met people in school and at work. Maybe you could join a mom's club. Are you religious? there could be some people to meet there. You could get involved in the spouse club, if there is one. Find some kind of activity/hobby you are interested in and make friends through doing that.

imageMilitary Newlyweds FAQ Button
    I changed my name
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I found a mom's group online through TheMommiesNetwork.org  you can also try meetup.com.
    Bunny 05.2008//mc 9.2009//Bubba 07.2010//mc 10.2011//
    Bloggin' It
  • Options

I've never PCS'd anywhere b/c my H is in the Guard. I did want to recommend that if you go to church that is a great way to meet new people. Maybe check to see if there is a mom group that does activities that you could go to.

I know it's hard to make friends but I bet you'll find some eventually! 

Another way to make friends (be cautious of course) is seeing if anyone on this board or MN is from your base. Maybe meet up for lunch one day, etc.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

No, I have not been in touch with the FRG.  My husband's unit is all deployed and they have him doing just flag detail for now and just going in to work once or so a week.  I have no clue how to even get in touch with them.  In Germany it was easy since there was a pre-deployment briefing almost right after I got there so I met the leader that day.

I tried one group on meet up.  Didn't work since my oldest is in school all day and my second is in kindergarten in the afternoon.  Most of their meet ups were around 11 am and that didn't work since I had to take my daughter to school at 12.  Would also help having a second car!  Hopefully that will come soon. 

I think I am partially sad because I was so spoiled with friends in Germany lol.  I met a ton and they were all amazing, well most were and I met them right away.  It was a small base though so you always would see the same people around.  I think I need to realize it might take some time I guess.

• Options

You can google MOMS Club to see if there is one in your area....there probably is, and there may even be two!  Moms Club is a national group that has subgroups throughout the country, around every major city I think.  They are primarily for SAHM, but I think anyone can join.  The one I am joining here in Augusta has 50 moms and 1 dad!  They do 2-3 activites a week just to get their kids out of the house and give the parents some time to socialize too.

I have also met most of my friends by getting involved in different exerceise classes at the gym.  I don't know if you are into working out....but meeting and befriending the women in my cycling class and body pump classes has been a huge motivation for me to keep working out....plus we get together outside of the gym whenever we are bored too.

Hope this helps!  And also, I have never lived on base....through 4 different post assignments now.

**Landon Keith 6/03/10 6lbs. 9oz. 19 inches**

"When the waves are flooding the shore, and I can't find my way home anymore, that's when I......I look at you" Miley Cyrus

Landon 121Landon 6-9 081

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • Options

I understand how you feel like you were spoiled by your experience in Germany.  My experience at Fort Irwin was like that. I met one friend very early on and then we added others to our "group".  It felt easy and we had such a good time together!

Your situation is tough being a one car family. Are there any parks within walking distance of your home?

I joined MOPS this past fall and met some really nice ladies that way.  I plan to do that when we move next month, even though I have friends where we are moving.

Good luck, I hope that you are able to find some friends and are able to get more at home!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Hi! I'm up in your area...but I'm in Lacey. I joined the MOMS club in Lacey and have met a bunch of great friends, most of which are fellow military moms. I am also active in my FRG and have good friends there as well.
  • Options

We'll be PCSing up for Ft. Lewis the end of next month and living off post in Lacey. I was wondering the same thing since this is the first PCS for me (although hubby's done it lots of times before me). When I moved to Ft. Rucker, where we are now, I met most of my friends through a Poker league DH was playing in at a local bar/restaurant and 90% of the people there are all military or military wives anyway.

Maybe we can get together and meet, once I get up there :D I'm really looking forward to meeting some other wives with kids or soon to have kids. It's a whole new world to me since it's our first baby. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"