Preemies
Options

Traveling with your baby

My daughter came home on Saturday after a 2 week NICU stay.  She weighed 3.5 lbs at birth, and was up to 4 lbs at discharge.  She is a little over that now.  How early did you take a trip with your preemie?  I am only asking because my great grandma is not doing well at all, and they are saying she has days to maybe weeks to live.  She lives 4 hours from us.  I would really like to take Natalie to see her before she passes, and I would like to see her also.  The last time I saw her was at my shower, 1 week before I had Natalie, and she was doing much better at that time.  Would you make the 4 hour car trip with your LO at this age/weight or would you wait until she is bigger and less chance to get sick or something?  Until she is 6lbs the doctor told us to have someone sit in the back seat with her.  I was thinking about waiting until my due date to take her, but I am not sure if Nan will make it that long.  I could take a day trip and leave her with DH, but it would be hard to leave her for that long so soon, and I had wanted to bring her there.  Not sure what to do.  Go myself?  Wait a few more weeks and take her with me?  Go with her next weekend?  Any thoughts on this??  thank you
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Traveling with your baby

• Options

Ideally I would wait, but I understand your situation.  The concerns I would have are - lots of people wanting to see her and touch her (germ exposure and over stimulation) also does she generally eat well?  I would worry that traveling and being in a new place would affect her eating. 

Good luck in your decision.

Kelly, Mom to Noah 8.27.05 (born at 26 weeks)
  • Options

I would probably wait, although that is a hard decision to make.  Your DD is so young, I would worry about too much going on around her and that stressing her out.  Also like PP said, a lot of people will probably want to see her and that poses even more risks for germs, etc. 

I would probably end up going on my own and taking pictures.  Your Nana should understand I would hope.  

EDD: 01/08/10, Born 8 weeks early on 11/16/09 at 32w3d due to pre-eclampsia and partial abruption
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Our Family Blog
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That's difficult, it really depends on you and your baby and how you feel about it.  I know when I brought DS home we didn't go anywhere for at least a month besides the pedi and after that it was only a trip to my parents house a couple minutes away.  Another thing to consider is she in the hospital?  I don't think I would want to bring my preemie anywhere there would be a large amount of illness and germs since they don't have mature immune systems. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageKellyMichelle:

Ideally I would wait, but I understand your situation.  The concerns I would have are - lots of people wanting to see her and touch her (germ exposure and over stimulation) also does she generally eat well?  I would worry that traveling and being in a new place would affect her eating. 

Good luck in your decision.

Kelly makes a lot of good points here. I can tell you that my grandma passed away in January not quite so suddenly but sort of. She was diagnosed with cancer in Nov. and started Chemo in Dec. We had booked my flight and my dad went with us, and as we were at the airport, things got worse. The next day, she was admitted to the hospital and continued to decline. She died 2 days later (one day after DS and I had left). If we had waited any longer, she would have never met DS b/c once she was in the ICU, DS couldn't visit (strict policy of no one under 16, esp. b/c of the H1N1 virus).

It's a very difficult decision. I would ask yourself how important it is to you that a) you see her again and b) she meets DD. If both are really important to you, go. Be prepared to be a complete momma bear and tell others before you arrive that you won't be allowing anyone to hold her as per doctor's orders (blame everything on doctor's orders - seriously. Anyone who argues with that just comes off as insensitive/selfish.) Best of luck in your decision and I hope your Nan hangs on!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"