Single Parents
Options

Birth Certificate

Does it really matter what is on it?

Here is the story- my husband and I weren't married when DD was born. She got his last name, and we got married when she was 6 months old. That was almost 3 years ago. I could have sworn I filled out the paperwork for him to be on the BC. I never got around to ordering a copy before because I really didn't need it. I will need it once we get a child support order so I just ordered it. It came in the mail today and there is nothing listed for father. My husband is her Dad (and thankfully just recently started visiting with her again) but do you think it will make a difference that he isn't on there? Will they just add him when they find he was omitted during the divorce?  

Re: Birth Certificate

• Options
    Did he sign an affidavit of paternity? B/c that's all they are going to have him do to order CS.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imagesweetie0228:
    Did he sign an affidavit of paternity? B/c that's all they are going to have him do to order CS.

I thought so, but if he did he would be on the BC. I guess I was just wondering about custody, but I guess the BC doesn't matter. He will sign whatever, he has never questioned being her father (she is pretty much identical to his whole family, in addition to my behavour not ever being in question).

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imagesweetie0228:

I thought so, but if he did he would be on the BC. I guess I was just wondering about custody, but I guess the BC doesn't matter. He will sign whatever, he has never questioned being her father (she is pretty much identical to his whole family, in addition to my behavour not ever being in question).

• Options

On the back of the PA birth Certificates there's an update that you can fill in and send back and they will send you a new BC.  You can fill it in w/ info like they spelled a name wrong or ifyou marry the father of the baby after the baby is born.  and they send you an updated copy. But really, if he has sign the affidavit of paternity they want that more.

My ex and I weren't married before DD was born but got married a year later and then blah blah blah had DS 2 years later then divorced by year 5.  EVEN though he was on the BC from the start for DD, they CS office needed the affidavit of paternity signed before they would order CS for DD.  B/C DS was born within the marriage Ex is assumed legal father. (he is the bio father of both but this is how my court worked it)

So honestly that affidavit is more important than what's on the BC if the child wasn't born into wedlock.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"