D.C. Area Babies
Options

Teeth brushing tips?

So at 18 months DD still only has 4 solid teeth, although several others are about to poke through...  buuuut she HATES having her teeth brushed.  Any tips?  I've tried letting her do it but she just sucks on it.  She's surprisingly strong at pushing my hands away.  I usually try it in the evenings in the bathtub and DH handles it in the morning.  Any tips/advice is greatly appreciated!

Re: Teeth brushing tips?

• Options

I started letting DD play w/ a toothbrush around age 1. She too mostly sucks on it and sometimes will not let me brush her (16!!) teeth. I introduced baby/toddler toothpaste (no fluoride, safe to swallow) about a week ago. DD LOVES to brush her teeth, we have to keep the bathroom door closed b/c sometimes she'll push her step stool to the sink, reach for it and just start brushing. It can be dangerous if she steps off the stool. She loves it even more now w/ the toothpaste - maybe try that. It took a long long time for her to get the actual brushing, she just started doing it (but not every time) a few days ago. I will sometimes brush my teeth when she does and really exaggerate the brushing motion, esp. of the front teeth. But this does not always work as she'll then want to use my toothbrush or want to brush my teeth w/ hers.

Just keep at it, don't do it in the bathtub, try toothpaste, try to do it too so she can mimic it. Pedi said it's impt that we brush her teeth if all she does is suck on the brush, even if we just use a wet washcloth, it needs to be done. I usually let her do it for as long as she wants and then take her toothbrush (have to wait till she lets me have it, she's also very strong) and brush them myself.

I also tried showing her how to rinse her mouth and spit, but she mostly just drinks the water, although once in a blue moon she'll pretend-spit.

• Options
    I keep a few little toys in the medicine cabinet. DS can hold the toys as long as I'm brushing his teeth and then he has to put them back. It keeps his hand occupied so I can get in there. He has all his teeth so it's a job to get them all brushed! DD is older so I let her brush after I'm done as long as she sits nicely while I brush and floss. 
    Married 7.9.05
    DD1 9.24.06
    DS 7.1.08
    twins due 9.7.11 lost twin A at
    DD2 4.7.12
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We have tried practically everything.  We have to change tactics about once a week or so.  Here are things that have worked (temporarily):

Singing a song while brushing

Having him make weird sounds (with mouth open of course)

His stuffed monkey was a dentist and brushed his teeth for a while (we held the monkey and the toothbrush)

Toddler toothpaste

Letting him brush, then we brush, then he brushes again

Letting him stand on a stool and look in the mirror while we brush

Letting him brush our teeth while we brush his

Brushing in the bathtub/on the toilet/in our bedroom/in his bedroom/on the top stair

Warning him that if he doesn't open his mouth then we'll lay him down on our lap and brush his teeth anyway (he hates laying down)

Waiting him out and not letting him do anything until we brush his teeth

What's working currently is telling him that I'll count to 10 as I brush his top teeth and then count to 10 as I do his bottom teeth, and then we'll be done.  I count really slowly:)

That's all I can think of right now.  I'm sure we've done many more things. :)

ETA:  Here are a few more ideas.  Also, I'm sending you a PM (not post related)

Using toothpaste for the top teeth, then replenishing for the bottom teeth

Letting him hold the toothpaste and play with the cap

Letting him put toothpaste on the brush by himself (can be a little messy)

• Options
    DD was not fond of brushing her teeth until we gave her a electric toothbrush and now she can't wait to brush her teeth every night.  She has her routine of getting her toothbrush after her bath and brushing her own teeth (I go back over them) while I put her lotion and diaper on. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"