Preemies
Options

PICC lines.

Just want to get your take on what a PICC line and the risk associate with it.  The nurse said that my son will be getting a PICC line soon and would be place either in the leg or arm.  Is there another place that a PICC line would be inserted?

Re: PICC lines.

• Options

Picc lines are super common for preemies, micropreemies especially (Stella had one for a while--they are really just a long-lasting IV that they use for nutrition, meds, etc.).  Stella's was in her arm.  They are typically in the arm, leg, or head (in rare cases).

Try not to worry about the PICC line too much.  we were scared at first too but it's necessary & really not much of an option anyways.

hang in there!  you are a great mom already for coming on here & learning about all of these things.  it's so scary at first but you will be a nicu pro before you know it.

• Options
    My daughter had one in her head for about month...it was scary looking and bothersome bc of it being in her head, but we didn't have any problems until the took her central line out and just were doing normal iv's in her arms and legs, lots of those ifiltrated and seemed to be more of a problem.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    PICC lines really are preferable to regular IV lines because they can stay in one spot for a long time. I hated seeing my son with a new IV every day. Some days it was moved more than once. That sucks! It will be ok. It is just to help baby get the nutrients it needs.
    A small start at 2lb 9oz, 60 day NICU stay, and 6 months of O2 My 30 weeker is growing up! <a href="http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/bippy798/?action=view
  • Options
    I'll never forget how scared I was when I found out DD was getting a PICC line...more because I had no idea what it was and that was the first procedure she had while in the NICU. I was reassured that it is very common and actually a good thing so they did not have to keep replacing the line to get fluids into her. She had hers in her arm.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imageBippy798:
    PICC lines really are preferable to regular IV lines because they can stay in one spot for a long time.

This - it's so much better than having the nurses try to find a vein every time they need to start an IV or draw blood.  Sarah's were always in her arms.  I also had a PICC for long term antibiotics after delivery - it stayed in place for 6wks and never gave me one problem.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    ditto pp!  Andrew had a PICC line in his leg for a long time - preferable to the IV for long term!
  • Options
    ijackijack member
    I had one when I was on bed rest and it was the best decision I've ever made. SOOO much better than getting IVs replaced :) 
    Emma - March '08 Quinn - August '11
    Need help with high fat food ideas? Chunky Monkey
  • Options
    imageRachel&Joe:

Picc lines are super common for preemies, micropreemies especially (Stella had one for a while--they are really just a long-lasting IV that they use for nutrition, meds, etc.).  Stella's was in her arm.  They are typically in the arm, leg, or head (in rare cases).

Try not to worry about the PICC line too much.  we were scared at first too but it's necessary & really not much of an option anyways.

hang in there!  you are a great mom already for coming on here & learning about all of these things.  it's so scary at first but you will be a nicu pro before you know it.

this.

pretty much the only down side is a possible infection... which you can have with any exposure. (and there is way more exposure with trying to constantly find veins. :/ )

i had one when i was in the hospital (for about 3 weeks, both times) and after having to get IVs and blood draws out of my foot i was super happy to have the PICC line put in.

it is scary thinking about things like that in your little baby- but it is really common for preemies (and mommies too!) and helps them from getting stuck so many times. 

• Options
    Lily had 2 PICC lines during her stay. The first one was for her TPN and meds for her PDA.  It was pulled when she came off of all that and she got another one 2 weeks later for antibiotics and TPN when we had the NEC scare which turned out to be a UTI.  They really are preferable to IVs and are very common. In the NICU that she was transferred to they do them for almost every baby that comes in instead of IVs. Lily's were both in her arm and she never had any problems with them.  There is more risk of infection with IVs because they have to be redone all the time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We have news that they did put a PICC line on our son last night.  The PICC line is in his arm and doing great with it so far.  Thanks ladies for all the helpful information and reassurance.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"