Preemies

Anyone go back to work while baby was still in NICU?

This was my first week back from maternity leave (I'll get some time off when Cooper comes home).

Yesterday wasn't so bad, I was pretty busy. But today I'm just cranky. I miss my baby! I'm used to going twice a day to see him, and now I can only go in the evenings.

Re: Anyone go back to work while baby was still in NICU?

• I did for a few weeks. Robbie was there 14 weeks (came home on his due date) so I went back at 6w pp. My short term disability paid for 6w because of my C section, but then I just had FMLA which was unpaid.
    His arrival so early kinda screwed our financial plans (we were putting away a portion of each of my paychecks into my "maternity leave" fund and suddenly I lost 3 months of time to save) so I went back to work for a bit. I then took a leave of absence about 3 weeks before he came home. I'd hoped to work all the way up until his discharge, but I just couldn't keep up. It was too hard running back and forth between home, work, & hospital. Didn't help that the hospital was 45 minutes from home..

The day I fell asleep at a stop light, I put him for my leave.

I'm still glad I went back, though. It did allow us to save a little more money and stay home with him a little bit longer.

• I went back to work after 6 weeks so I could have some time when Cole got out of the NICU.  It sucked at first because I was so used to spending all day at the hospital holding him and feeding him and then once I went back to work I could only go in the evenings. My DH went to the hospital once he got off work and spent an hour or so with LO and then would leave once I got there to go take care of the dog. I wouldn't get home till 8pm sometimes.  It was so difficult and I was super tired but having some time with my LO once he came home was worth it.  Just take one day at a time it does get easier, I would always call and get an update on him which i felt helped me. 

• Loading the player...
  • I went back for a few weeks before Nate came home and it was pretty tough, but the distraction helped at times. I was in "survival mode" for most of it, I would come home, eat a frozen meal, and head up to the NICU. It helped if I called the nurses during the day, I told them to expect it since it helped me get through, and they were happy to give me a rundown of his day. Some days were better than others, but it was great to have time with him when he was released. Hang in there, I hope it's not much longer.
  • I went back after 6 weeks (c-section), so I could have some time off when Evan came home. Like Trish I was earning vacation/sick leave, and when Evan came early it took away time I thought I had to keep earning it. I had already gone 60hours without pay, and I am the income for our family. It was hard, I went with very little sleep, made sure I still got to see Evan once/day, called the NICU to talk to his nurse probably a couple of other times/day, and when I was at work that's what I was doing, just being at work, when I was at NICU and with Evan, that's where all my focus was. I did pretty ok as long as the two worlds didn' collide too much. Evan was in for 12wks 5 days, I took 4 weeks off when he came home.
  • lizallizal member
    I did half days for four days and then I got the call that Liam was coming home!  It was difficult going back to work, pumping, having to deal with all the questions.  Those four days were emotionally draining trying to juggle work and going to the NICU and I was only working part time!  I commend anyone who can successfully do it.  I wasn't strong enough
  • I went back when he was 2 weeks old. I begged my doctor to release me back to work because we needed the income. I worked for the rest of his 9 week stay and I go back to work next week. I am not ready and I think I may just cry that day. 

A small start at 2lb 9oz, 60 day NICU stay, and 6 months of O2 My 30 weeker is growing up! <a href="http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/bippy798/?action=view
  • I was back to work 6 days after my c-section.  i own a business (wedding floral designer) & had weddings booked every single weekend (luckily my father in law was able to take care of the weddings over the weekend Stella was born).  honestly, it was a really really nice distraction.  luckily the hospital with the nicu is at the end of our street so i still got to visit her several times every day.

hang in there.  it sucks right now but your baby will be home soon enough!

• I was on maternity leave while he was in the NICU (27 days).  But our NICU neighbors had a micro preemie and mom went back to work.  Luckily, she and her DH worked relatively close to the hospital, so I would sometimes see them during the day, but always in the evening.  I know she would call in a couple times a day to check in. 

I can't imagine going back to work, especially since I work with kids!  I hope you find a way to keep your mind busy during the day.

• yeah :( I went back too... my daughter was in for 19.5 weeks, I took 6 weeks off in the beginning, went back to work for 13.5 weeks and am now in the last week of my second 6 week maternity leave... it's so hard to go back, but it's so worth it to save the time for when they come home and you want to feel like a "normal" mom...
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers After 19.5 weeks in the NICU - our little 24 weeker is home!
  • I went back part time. It was a long 17 weeks and I would have gone crazy otherwise.  It helped structure my day and make the time pass a little less slowly :-)
  • I did... I went back 2 weeks after my c/s, and worked until the day before he came home, then I took 2 months off.

I had the incredible blessing that my office is right around the corner from his NICU, so I was able to visit before work, at lunch and then after work, and DH would meet me there in the evening.

(((HUGS))) Hang in there!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"