South Florida Babies

Would you be okay with this?

One of the schools we're considering has a specific drop-off and pick-up routine for their kids. I'm not crazy about it (but it's the only thing I don't like - everything else I do). Basically, drop-off and pick-up is directly from car into classroom. I'd drive up to the curb (the driveway is right next to the classroom doors); the teachers would take L from the car and into the class. I don't get down at all. Pick up is the same (unless it's before or after pick up time, in which case I can go to the classroom). My problem is L is only going to be 3 (this is for PK3). The one time a teacher had to take him from my car, he freaked out. He's used to me walking him into class. I don't know. I guess I understand for older kids I just think for a 3-year-old it's too much.

Thanks!

Re: Would you be okay with this?

• Zoe's school has carline. She started there at 18 months. Some days I get there early so I can walk her in and talk to the teacher, but I find it's actually an easier and quicker goodbye if we just use the carline! I'd say 90% of the kids in her school use the carline, even the youngest ones.
  • Really? Thanks! I guess I'm so used to his current school that I thought it was odd for the younger ones. I guess it makes sense in that you don't disrupt the learning environment but I like being able to talk to the teachers. How/when do you talk to the teachers about how her day went, etc.?

BTW - Zoe is so big! She's so cute! :)

• Loading the player...
  • thanks!!

They send home a detailed paper everyday about everything they did and how she did. how much she ate, how long she napped, how many times she went to the bathroom! everything! I rarely feel like I'm missing any info on how her day was, so it's great! I do like to walk her in maybe once every other week just to say hi to the teacher and ask how Zoe is doing, even though the papers really say it all!

• My husband works at a private school and they have curbside drop off and pick up.  Like Mel said, you can get there early every now and then if you don't want to make the line. I think this definitely helps kids become more independent and it's so much more time efficient.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageMrsJessNJorge:

My husband works at a private school and they have curbside drop off and pick up.  Like Mel said, you can get there early every now and then if you don't want to make the line. I think this definitely helps kids become more independent and it's so much more time efficient.

This. I used to work for a private school and we had a curbside drop off because of this. Plus many young children are clingy, cry and parents have trouble seperating or stepping away from classrooms. This works the child up and makes each day harder and harder for them to let go. Once a child can see others doing the same, they have no trouble. Smile Independence is key! It is definitely important that you get a good teacher that outlines all of your childs day to day activities. Usually done during down time and if you have questions, you can write it all down and place in their bookbag or lunch boxes. Hope this gets easier for you.

• Ditto everything the other girls have mentioned.  I have worked at schools with the carline and some without.  The carline is much more efficient and gets the kids ready to come into class prepared to focus on the learning.  It was a little scary for the kids in the pre-K class, but parents usually had the first two weeks of school to drop them off in the class.  If they wanted, they could also get there earlier to drop them off at the teacher's door.

As for talking to the teacher, I highly recommend either going in really early or setting up an appointment.  At the school where parents could drop off kids at the door, I taught 2nd/3rd grade and I always had 20 parents at my door wanting to talk to me 5 minutes before the bell rang.  It was very stressful and didn't allow me to keep an eye on the kids.  Most lingered at my door still trying to have a mini-conference long after the bell rang.  I thought this was totally inappropriate b/c anything can happen when the teacher's attention is away from the kids and one parent's concern over their particular child's progress didn't outweigh the safety of the rest of the kids.  Also, it's easier to control schoolwide security with the carline drop-off/pick-up routine.  When parents are allowed to linger in the hallways, it's hard for teachers and other personnel to tell who is a parent and who is a stranger.  Many times, I saw kids open the gates for adults whom they assumed was a parent and it scared the crap out of me.  Although it's tougher on pre-k parents, it's much safer and more organized for the kids in general. 

• are you kidding, I would love for Sebastian's school to have this! :)

Next year, Sebastian is going to a new school that does not offer this and I am stressing out already about how I am going to get three kids on time at school everyday especially when it's pooring!

• I love carline!  Don't worry, he will adjust.  These kids are super resiliant I tell ya!
  • Okay, I am jealous! LOL. This would be pretty awesome, IMHO, especially on those days I am running late.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I wish our school had a carline!  It is such a mission to get all three kids in and out of the school and each to their classrooms.  Then, if you're parked behind someone who is taking long, you're stuck.  (The entrance to the school is a circle and parents are to park for a max of five minutes.  Some parents take longer than five minutes.)

He'll do fine! 

• LOL Thanks, everyone! I guess I'm new to this for little ones. I totally get it for older kids (kinder and on I guess), but PK3 I thought was too early to start that. I know one of the schools does this, but PK3 (and I think 4) parents have the option to drop off in class. I guess one of the differences between these and his current daycare (and other daycares I've seen) is that this is a school school (PK3 - 8th grade). It's just a new concept for me and I still remember a rainy morning last year when we had to do this at his curernt school and L was miserable (and so was I). I'm glad to know, though, that so many of you like this! :) Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"