Secondary IF
Options

Newbie Introduction

Hi Ladies,

My name is Sarah.  I'm 33 years old, DH is 30.  We have a 19 month old daughter called Jana.  She's awesome, we love her so much.  I look forward to getting to know you all, and wish everyone here GL with their journey towards their next baby!

Sigh.  I find myself on this board because I've been using FF while TTC #2 since Oct. 2009.  (I also asked about this in the FF community, and I was told I should talk to my doctor, that was the ONE reply I had.  That's nice, I get it, but I'd still like to hear from other women.)  Through charting, I've discovered that I have short luteal phases, about 5-7 days only.  At first I didn't even understand what the LP was all about or why it mattered since we had no trouble getting pregnant with Jana.  But then I got busy learning about the cycle, including the LP, and realized, I may have a problem.

Jana still nurses in the mornings and before bedtime, and randomly during the day too.  Having said that, she hardly drinks any milk when she nurses, mainly it is for the comfort and closeness.  I guess I hoped her nursing would have something to do with the short LP, but I'll be honest, with as little milk as she actually drinks, I doubt that is the case.  And my period has been "regular" since before we started TTC, so, yeah.

It would be awesome to hear from other women who had/have similar experiences, and to get some feedback for what worked for them.  I will talk to my doctor, but I'd like to see about natural treatment first, see if we can work this out on our end before we make an appointment.

Thank you for any help/advice, or just sharing your story.  Right now I can't get anyone in my family to listen to what I'm sharing and understand.  They keep saying I'm thinking about it too much.  Really?  So if I just stop thinking about it, my LP will lengthen?  Fabulous!  Too bad that isn't true.  :(

Re: Newbie Introduction

• Options

Hi and welcome! :)

I don't personally have a LPD but I think there are ways to lengthen it. Hopefully the other ladies on the board will know more.

Good luck!

• Options
    Welcome.  I would definitely see if you can talk to your Dr.  I used FF for a long time and it said I had a short LP but it turned out it was wrong.  It was fine.  The Dr. basically threw out the FF stuff and said to use OPKs and started doing tests.  I hope maybe it is the same for you and you will be pg before you know it.  GL
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ahh ha....very interesting.  My DH has been telling me to quit using FF for some time now anyway, haha.  Might as well make an appointment to talk with doc then.  Thank you for the heads up.
  • Options

I did acupuncture for ~6 months and found that it really helped to make my cycle normal, so maybe you could try that for your LPD.

Also my RE said that if you have been ttc for 6+months and are 33 you can consider yourself 2IF.  I know that sounds scary, but I take it as good news that you shouldn't have to fail for a year before a dr will see you to begin treatments. GL!

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options

Welcome!  I have a shortened luteal phase too.  I've had several early m/cs and an ectopic.  I initially thought it was related to my progesterone being off from bfing.  I weaned my son in December 2009 and things are still off.  I got tested for a number of things.  I have low progesterone and my thyroid is under-performing. 

Pregnancy and breastfeeding can change your body.  I'd recommend talking to your doctor.  Progesterone and Vitamin B6 can help lengthen the luteal phase too.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I didn't chart while I was BFing, but I started shortly after I stopped and my LP did seem to get longer the further from BFing I got. It also took a while for my milk to totally dry up even after I quit BFing (it was almost 6 months). If you Google "breast feeding and short luteal phase" it looks like it's not a totally uncommon occurance. You're probably not producing much at this point, but even some is enough to have an impact on your body.

At any rate, I'm sure it's frustrating!

• Options

Thank you ladies for the input.  It is actually helpful to talk about it.  I will print out my last six cycles on FF and take it with me when I go in to see the doctor.  I might wait to see her until I've given the BF a break for a while to see if the LP length gets better.

Thanks again! Big Smile

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"