Minnesota Babies
Options

Pre-pregnancy Appt?

Did anyone of who have a pre-pregnancy appointment? What types of things happen at one and what are some good questions to ask?

TIA 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Pre-pregnancy Appt?

• Options
    I had one and it was unnecessary for me. I didn't have any high-risk factors so there wasn't really anything to discuss before getting pregnant. If you don't fall into a high-risk category, then the only things the dr will say is be sure to keep exercising, eat well and start taking prenatal vitamins. If you could be high-risk, then you probably should go in for an appt.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Like the pp, I did one but it was pretty much useless.  I thought for sure they'd do some testing or something, but since I had been going to the doctor for years and nothing was wrong with me they just gave me a prescription for prenatals and talked about charting, etc. 

However, after a year of trying and no results, I did go to another doctor who was able to look at my charts (from taking my temp each day) and noticed that I was ovulating too late in my cycle and was able to put me on Clomid and in one cycle I was pg! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Like pp's say, there's not much that a GYN will do/tell you that you don't already know.  The only thing I have to add is that I did go in for a yearly physical too with my reg. dr. since it had been a while, and in addition to the standard stuff she also she did a blood test to check to make sure that my immunizations were still effective.  I can't remember right now which ones they were, but if you mention it to them, I'm sure they'd know exactly what you were talking about. 

Good luck!  Wishing you all the best!

bfp 5/17/09 - missed m/c 6/17/09 @ 9w - stopped growing 6w 1d, D&C 6/19/09
    BFP #2 10/13/2009 on our 2nd Wedding Anniversary
    Discovered TWINS during the 6w u/s - what a shocker!
    Delivered on 5/19/2010 at 34 weeks due to pre-e and HELLP syndrome
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    The Bump MoM Recipe Collection
  • Options

P.S...

If you're the type of person who likes to have more 'to do' to feel like you're actively working on a goal, I would defiantly recommend charting.  Taking Charge of Your Fertility is an excellent book that is very informative!  Also, there's a website called FertilityFriend.com that you can use to track your charting.  Most of the general functions are free, or you can upgrade for pretty cheap too.  I found it really handy.

But on the other hand, if your the type of person who gets stressed out by having to much 'to do' - then skip charting  - you can always do it later when/if you need to.

bfp 5/17/09 - missed m/c 6/17/09 @ 9w - stopped growing 6w 1d, D&C 6/19/09
    BFP #2 10/13/2009 on our 2nd Wedding Anniversary
    Discovered TWINS during the 6w u/s - what a shocker!
    Delivered on 5/19/2010 at 34 weeks due to pre-e and HELLP syndrome
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    The Bump MoM Recipe Collection
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"