Austin Babies
Options

s/o Craigslist... giving your address?

As a seller do you ever ask people to come to your house?  I have maybe twice and that was because the items were too big for me to put in my car and meet somewhere.  But, I made the person email to get my phone # and then they had to call me in order to get my address. That always seems to weed out a lot of people!  

I respond to a lot of ads and people will just throw their address out there like it's no big deal.  I usually ask them to meet me as well unless it's a big item.  Too many cuckoos out there!

Jacob David (01/07), Matthew Isaac (12/08) & Kasey Elise (9/10)
WEB

Re: s/o Craigslist... giving your address?

• Options
    I have twice.. both times were big items. The second time DH wasn't home at the time and he was not thrilled that I had them come here when I was alone. I did what you said though - email first, then call, then kind of guage the crazy-level before giving my address.
  • Options

I've only let somebody come to my house when it's larger item that I can't meet them somewhere and I always make sure I have DH home and with me with every transaction.

If I can get the item into my garage I'll put it out there so they don't actually have to come into my house.

I make sure my alarm system sign is displayed and it's apparent that I have a dog even though all he'd want to do is play ball with them. DH travels for work and I get really paranoid so I probably go to far but still.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageJayandJack:

I've only let somebody come to my house when it's larger item that I can't meet them somewhere and I always make sure I have DH home and with me with every transaction.

If I can get the item into my garage I'll put it out there so they don't actually have to come into my house.

this. we do put said item in the garage though. i won't let strangers in my house. i worry they're casing the place to break in or something

• Options
    I actually need to put something on Craigslist but have been avoiding b/c it is a big item and will need to be picked up at our home.  I'll definitely put it all in the garage when it sells, but I really don't like someone coming to our home.  Although I guess in the big scheme of things it is just another home and if I only let the person in the garage they know nothing more than anyone driving by.
    imageimage
    6-yr-old Elena and 4-yr-old Julia.
    My Blog! All about my girls and quilting
  • Options
    We move everything to the garage and meet people outside so they can't see inside our home. I definitely don't email out my physical address, I make people call me for directions. I agree too many weirdos out there.
  • Options
    i put it in the garage right at the opening.  normally dh is there. especially after i had some really weird couple come (before baby).  i do give out my address once we've exchanged emails (and i know this is bad, but if they can't spell or don't offer me a name or any info, then i wait to hear from other people first).  my neighbor across the street is pretty nosy, so it helps when people show up!
    09/21/09 and 08/16/2011 image
  • Options

I have sold quite a few things from my house. Some things I try to do, as mentioned above:

I don't give out my address until I'm sure I've weeded out the people who aren't serious or are just plain wacko.

I always put the item in the garage.

When they knock on my door, after letting my dogs bark and growl for a minute, I go out through the garage and meet them - so they never see inside my house.

Sometimes, if it's a man, I'll leave the door from the laundry room to the garage open, and prop up a baby gate. He can see my big mean dogs, and see they could clearly get to him if motivated Wink

I'm NEVER alone at the house when doing a CL sale. If DH is out of town, I have my mother or a friend come by.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"