Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Baby riding in convertible car w/top down?

My mom has a convertible.  A few weeks ago we were at her house, about to drive separately to go to dinner, and she asked if she could take DS in her convertible with the top down (she has a carseat in the car, obvs).  I told her I wasn't comfortable with it and she acted like I was being totally overprotective.  WDYT?
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
DS1 born June 2008 | m/c at 9w March 2011 | DS2 born April 2012

Re: Baby riding in convertible car w/top down?

• Personally, I don't like the sound of the wind through my car when the windows are open. I can't imagine putting DD in a convertible, because I'm sure the noise isn't good for her ears. So I don't think you are being overprotective.
    Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I wouldn't. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I wouldn't let DS in a covertible with the top down.
    imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • honestly, top up or top down a convertible makes me uneasy when children are involved.  they simply aren't as structurally safe.  that cloth top won't do a dang thing in the car rolled. 

that said, if i was comfortable with a convertible i would be comfortable with it top up or top down as long as it wasn't too cold or raining.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I wouldn't have let her either.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagevioletvirgo:

honestly, top up or top down a convertible makes me uneasy when children are involved.  they simply aren't as structurally safe.  that cloth top won't do a dang thing in the car rolled.

This.

Ian cries with the windows down anyway; he'd freak in a convertible.

"If I'm goin' down, I'm goin' down loud." -John Evans Tweet me
  • I really don't see how a convertible with its top down is any more unsafe than a convertible with the top up.  Depending on the convertible, it might not be that loud.  I have rode in some that aren't that bad and others that are really loud and windy.

Not that this is the same at all.  DS loves it when I roll down the windows or open the moon roof.  It is a my new way of dealing with him when he is cranky in the car.

• Thank you.  I know you can't keep your kids in a bubble, but in my head I see the car flipping and DS having nothing in between his head and the road.

Re: my mother - At the time, she made a comment to DS under her breath - "don't worry, when Mommy goes out of town you can ride with the top down" (we are going on vacation this week and she is keeping DS part of the time).  I reamed her out right then & there, and think I need to drive the point home again before we leave on our trip.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    DS1 born June 2008 | m/c at 9w March 2011 | DS2 born April 2012
  • imagevanillacourage:
    Thank you.  I know you can't keep your kids in a bubble, but in my head I see the car flipping and DS having nothing in between his head and the road.

Re: my mother - At the time, she made a comment to DS under her breath - "don't worry, when Mommy goes out of town you can ride with the top down" (we are going on vacation this week and she is keeping DS part of the time).  I reamed her out right then & there, and think I need to drive the point home again before we leave on our trip.

Just put it to her as you are protecting her too.  If something happened, even if it wasn't her fault, would she ever forgive herself?  That is how I took care of the issue of MIL driving AT ALL with our kids in the car.  She takes way too many meds for me to be comfortable with it.

• I suppose riding with the top up might be marginally safer than the top down (if it's a hard top, that is). But honestly either way it's probably not very safe!
  • I'd be less concerned with rollovers and more concerned about something flying into the car and hitting her. I doubt she'd be on the freeway where junk is flying off of trucks at high speed, but something could still get kicked up by another car. 
  • Convertibles are designed differently so that they are much more stable and less likely to roll over because of the lack of roof. I also don't think the top up does anything to make it safer. But I don't know if I would be comfortable with my baby in a convertible anyway. I actually hate riding in convertibles because of too much air, so I just assume my kids would hate it too.

Kristen (7), Timothy (5), Robert (3), Charles (9 months)

• imagemelrrr:
    I'd be less concerned with rollovers and more concerned about something flying into the car and hitting her. I doubt she'd be on the freeway where junk is flying off of trucks at high speed, but something could still get kicked up by another car. 

This is exactly what I was thinking.  That plus the noise and wind.  I personally don't like wind (or even the air conditioner) blowing in my face, so I don't think it would be a great idea for DD either.

• imageColeslawcat:
    Convertibles are designed differently so that they are much more stable and less likely to roll over because of the lack of roof. I also don't think the top up does anything to make it safer. But I don't know if I would be comfortable with my baby in a convertible anyway. I actually hate riding in convertibles because of too much air, so I just assume my kids would hate it too.

Ditto this 100%. They are very bottom heavy as opposed to most other vehicles. However, I don't like the noise/wind factor and the risk of rocks and other objects flying in.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"