Parenting after a Loss
Options

clear crystals in diaper?

Twice today when I have gone to change Eliana, I found clear salt-looking crystals in her diaper.

I have a feeling this isn't normal. Any experience with this? I called our pedi's nurse's line and talked to her, and she put in a call to the doctor, but it's almost 5pm and no one has called me back.

Re: clear crystals in diaper?

• Options
    Usually that means dehydration...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    ibisibis member
    It's from the diapers. Are you using Pampers by chance? I totally freaked the first time I saw it but then I realized it was coming from the diaper. I've heard other moms say the same.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    She's ok.  It's from the diapers.  Its the absorption material in them.  DS will have them on his skin occassionally when he has a very full wet one.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers 1st m/c July 2008, 2nd m/c December 2008, Baby boy born in 2009!, 3rd m/c (c/p) June 2011, 4th m/c September 2011
  • Options

imagekris78:
    She's ok.  It's from the diapers.  Its the absorption material in them.  DS will have them on his skin occassionally when he has a very full wet one.

this 

accordingtoabby.com" "From of suffering emerges the strongest souls. The most massive characters are seared with scars." Kahlil Gibran
  • Options

imagekris78:

This! We get them all the time. I usually see them first thing in the morning when his diaper is really wet. On a boy it's much easier to tell it is coming from the diaper!! I use Pampers and see them more than I have with other diapers.

• Options
    I am so glad you asked this question because we have been getting those too. It totally freaked us out! Glad to know we aren't the only ones.
  • Options

Those are probably Urate Acid crystals, and they're a sign of dehydration but nothing to totally freak over unless she's running a fever.  Get some extra feedings in ASAP to raise her hydration level, possibly even a bottle with water/sugar water if necessary.

Is her soft spot (fontanel) sunken?  Number of wet diapers ok?  Keep an eye out.

• Options

Ohhhhhhhhhhh!

If it's little "balls" that squish like gel, they're from a Pampers explosion!!

• Options
    imageerinkate23:

Ohhhhhhhhhhh!

This, but sometimes crystals are indeed a sign of dehydration. 

• Options
    as soon as I saw the title I knew what you were taking about. Pampers diapers do that sometimes. Not sure why but it has happened to us multiple times. I'm guessing you use Pampers. No need to worry momma.
  • Options
    imageUseonfire:
    imageerinkate23:

Ohhhhhhhhhhh!

This, but sometimes crystals are indeed a sign of dehydration. 

I think that's only true in camels :-)  Seriously.  I have never heard of this and am a nurse for whatever validation that gives me :)  Humans don't pee crystals even if they are super dehydrated, then they just don't pee.

TTC #1 May 2007
    M/C January 2008
    DS February 16th, 2009

TTC #2 July 2010
    Diagnosed MFI
    IUI#1 w/ bravelle 5/12/11 -- 0% morph on day of IUI, but somehow BFP:
    Beta #1 38 at 12dpiui, Beta #2 85 at 14dpiui Beta #3 1100 at 19dpiui
    DD born December 28, 2011 at 34w6d

Baby #3 due June 14, 2015

• Options
    Stacy, this freaked me out big time too the first time it happened. DS used to have them all the time when he was tiny, but now I haven't seen them in months. I always thought it was from the vaseline I was putting on his circumcision, but someone told me it was probably from the dipes too. It's wierd that they do that!
  • Options

This whole post makes me grateful for my cloth diapers.. I don't miss the diaper goop from 'sposies. Wink

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"