Pennsylvania Babies

TTC Without a period

Hello Everyone!

I have been a member of theknot.com for quite sometime and I am slowly starting to utilize thebump.com. However, after searching a bunch of people's questions/concerns nothing has pertained to what I am looking for. I'm hoping you can all help me. My hubby and I have been TTC for a few months now. I was on BC for a little over 10 years and I just went off on Jan. 4, 2010. I received my first period on Feb. 1st but have not had anything since. I started to spot but it was only a light brown discharge, and one slight speck of blood. That's it. What does this mean? I read that if you don't get your period then you are not ovulating but what can someone do to get prego if they can't get their period? This is something that is hereditary considering my mom and sister had a difficult time getting prego. I hear you can't see a fertility doc until you've been trying for a year but I'm getting frustrated. Any advice you could offer would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: TTC Without a period

• I have no experience with this but I would call your OB.  They can give you something that will jumpstart your period. They may look into issues sooner with your family history.
  • You ovulate before you get your period.

A year and a half ago I went off BC in July, never got a period, and got a BFP in November, when I was 6 or 7 weeks preggo.  Somewhere in October I ovulated for the first time in over a decade, and that single ovulation turned into DS!

I'd still call your OB, but you CAN get pregnant without getting a period.

• Loading the player...
  • I would call your OB.  If you aren't having cycles, they can do some testing to see if hormone levels are off.  They can also give you Provera to start a new cycle.  You don't need to wait a year to seek help, especially if you aren't getting your period and aren't pregnant.  That is how my situation started.  Good luck!
    {Blog}
    TTC since Jan 07. Dx with PCOS Jan 08 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Your hormones are probably so out of whack from being on birth control so long.  If you want to go a more alternative route, look up Chaste Berry (also known as Vitex).  It's an herb that helps regulate hormone levels, therefore regulating your periods. Enzymatic Therapy's Chaste Berry Extract was wonderful for me.

Since it's an herb, it's likely to take a few months of taking it on a consistent basis, but it's realllllly effective.  ...It can help if you get bad cramps, too :)

imagePregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You do ovulate even though you are not getting your period.  I had went off BC in June and never received a period and got pregnant the beginning of Sept.  Whenever I had gone to the OB doc to make sure everything was OK that I hadn't received my period in 3 months they said just to wait it out since I was irregular prior to being on BC...needless to say I was probably preggo then.

Good Luck!

• Thanks Ladies for all of your advice. I called my gyno and they told me that the slight discharge might mean my body is trying to produce a period. The nurse on duty told me if I don't get a period by the end of the month to call them and my gyno might want to see me. I take a peg test every month, usually at the end of the month but I did take one on Sunday and it was negative. However, one of my girlfriends took 2 pregnancy tests a month apart and they were negative even though she was prego but never knew it at the time. So, who knows? Anyway, I plan to call my gyno in early May to set up an appt with them. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again!
  • What you described as the brown discharge was what happened to me when I WAS pregnant each time!  I do think though that you would see a positive pregnancy test by now if that were the case.  I don't really have much advice, other than to be patient.  Things don't always play out according to the time line we'd like them to follow.  Good luck!
  • Thank you so much for everyone's advice. I thought the same thing as you, Holly, but when the preg test came back negative I figured maybe my body was trying to have a period. Who knows? The gyno told me to wait until the end of April before I call to set up an appt to see my doctor but it feels like the month is dragging. I just wish I knew something, anything. Thanks again for the thougthful remarks, I guess I'm in the waiting game stage and it's hard b/c I am excited to start the next stage of our lives. I'll keep everyone updated on what I find out in a week or so at the gyno. kit.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"