Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Are your fingers not long enough to feel your IUD strings?

Because I think mine aren't. I checked them once before my 1 month appointment. I couldn't feel them, but at my appointment the doctor said they were where they were supposed to be.

I tried feeling for them again last night, but couldn't feel them. I put my finger up there as far as it could go (I know that's TMI, but that's what you're supposed to do with an IUD) and I couldn't get far enough to feel.

I either have really short fingers or a really long vaginal canal. I think my hands are normal so.... yeah. Hmm... I'll call on Monday and express my concern, but I was wondering if anyone else can't feel their strings and then when you go to the doctor it's fine. 

Re: Are your fingers not long enough to feel your IUD strings?

• Options
    My doctor said she will tuck the strings up under my cervix so it's impossible to feel.  I get it Monday so we'll see how it goes but maybe your doctor did this too?
  • Options
    Can't feel mine either.  I go for my one month appointment next week.  I can feel my cervix though.  It feels like a 'cone' in there sort of at a point.  From what I understand, they sort of wrap the strings around  your cervix for the comfort of your partner.  But although the OB allowed me to feel this strings before she placed it, I have not been able to since.  I was really bothered by a stinging feeling, sharp pinchy feeling the first week, then that went away, oddly enough after I sneezed.  So, I hope it's working.  I asked DH, and he can't feel it either, but hasn't gone 'exploring' with his fingers, LOL. 

BabyFetus Ticker
    Our family is growing by two feet and we couldn't be happier!  
    BFP 6/12/14, EDD 2/20/15

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Kylee Elizabeth 11/19/09
    Shane Edward 8/18/06

Married the love of my life 1/7/06

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think the way you position yourself has a lot to do with whether you can get " up there" or not. Try sitting on the toilet with one foot up on the seat. If you can't feel your cervix, you may want to wait until a different time in your cycle. I'm pretty sure foot long vaginal canals don't exist.
  • Options
    So... I was kinda curious cause I haven't check in a lil min... So I went and checked.. yeah I can feel mine.
    Parker 12:09:09 Alyssa 5:31:12
  • Options
    Often times the strings also "soften" and curve up and around your cervix.  I was told after a few months of having it placed, it's not uncommon not to be able to feel them.  I wouldn't worry too much about it. 
  • Options
    I tried to feel for mine a couple days after having it put in and I *think* I felt them, but haven't really checked since.  My doctor also said it's really common to not feel the strings though and he doesn't schedule a 1 month follow up b/c he said it's usually a waste of both his time and our time to do it.  He said that I would notice if there was a problem.  So I'm trusting that everything is OK.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"