Babies: 3 - 6 Months

what do u call godparents?

Yes this may sound like a dumb question, I'm drawing a blank...what do u call godparents? I will be teaching Evan to call his elders aunt/uncle & grandma/grandpa. We r going to baptize this Sunday & I was just curious ..do you say "godmother" "godfather"...that seems kinda long to me..I was raised saying "nina" or "nino" (spanish)..but was just wondering how ppl say it in English, is there anything shorter? TIA

Re: what do u call godparents?

• Mine were an aunt and uncle - I called them aunt ___ and uncle ___.  We are going to have friends be godparents - they will be called by their first names.
    Pregnancy Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • My husband has been a godfather to his little niece since before we met and she just calls him by his first name.
  • Loading the player...
  • We asked the godparents what they wanted to be called. They choose Aunt and Uncle so that is what they are.
  • I called mine godmother and godfather... Isnt that what they are??? But I usually just say their first name.... I have never said "hey godmother brenda!"
    BabyName Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Mine are aunts and uncles of my baby, but I am the godparents of several kids that I'm not an aunt of and they don't call me anything special.  Same thing they would call me if I wasn't their godparent.
  • we call them nanny and parrain, but I'm guessing that's just a Louisiana/southern thing cause parrain is French
  • imagejnthurston:
    I called mine godmother and godfather... Isnt that what they are??? But I usually just say their first name.... I have never said "hey godmother brenda!"

i was just wondering if there was something shorter... like i said, in spanish godmother is nina & godfather is nino ..short & simple.

• I call them by their first names and DD will do the same. My Godmother was my cousin, my godfather was my uncle. Her godparents are our friends, so there's no real title. First name will be fine.
  • imagecindydee:
    Yes this may sound like a dumb question, I'm drawing a blank...what do u call godparents? I will be teaching Evan to call his elders aunt/uncle & grandma/grandpa. We r going to baptize this Sunday & I was just curious ..do you say "godmother" "godfather"...that seems kinda long to me..I was raised saying "nina" or "nino" (spanish)..but was just wondering how ppl say it in English, is there anything shorter? TIA

They're DH's and mine best friends and he may call them Zia and Zio (Italian for aunt/uncle even though we're not Italian - the Godparents are). If not I'm sure they're names are just fine. My dad is a godfather to several kids and none of them call him anything special. 

Proud Mama to Mickey (12.03.09) and Nemo (06.06.13)

• imagejackielambert:
    we call them nanny and parrain, but I'm guessing that's just a Louisiana/southern thing cause parrain is French

My DD has two sets of godparents (none of them are DH or my siblings), one set is Aunt Brittani and Parrain (he chose this because he's from Louisiana) and the other is Aunt Becky and Tio Petey!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagejackielambert:
    we call them nanny and parrain, but I'm guessing that's just a Louisiana/southern thing cause parrain is French

Same here- everyone's godparents are Nanny and Paran around here. But it's definitely a Cajun French thing.

Where are you from Jackie?

• imagecindydee:

imagejnthurston:
    I called mine godmother and godfather... Isnt that what they are??? But I usually just say their first name.... I have never said "hey godmother brenda!"

i was just wondering if there was something shorter... like i said, in spanish godmother is nina & godfather is nino ..short & simple.

In English, I haven't heard many people address their godparents like that.  Mine are my aunt and uncle, so that makes it easy, but I am godmother to one of my little cousins, and he just calls me by my first name.  DH is from Mexico, and I know that in his family, they actually call their godparents madrina y padrino, but I have not heard of people doing that in English.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • We're Greek, so we call them Nouno and Nouna.

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?" Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"