3rd Trimester

36 weeks pregnant with period-like cramps ALL DAY!

I am 36 weeks, had an dilation check Weds (cervix is closed) and ALL day long yesterday I had mild menstrual-like cramps that were constant (didn't come and go like contractions)

I have no spotting, baby is moving just fine, just cramps which I have never had thus far in the pregnancy. They are less mild this morning but still crampy. Is this normal? Some books say it's the "start" of labor and can happen days or even weeks before labor begins. Any thoughts? My nurse told me to drink a TON of water but not to worry unless my water breaks/spotting occurs/contractions occur.

Any thoughts/ideas would rock! Thank you!! 

Re: 36 weeks pregnant with period-like cramps ALL DAY!

• No help here....just want to say that I am in the same boat...I have been having cramps all day yesterday and today.  I had my appt yesterday (no internal...scheduled c-section), but the dr did feel externally and he said that the head is definitely very low!
    Canon 60D: Canon 50mm 1.8 & 85mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Sigma 30mm 1.4
  • It might be from the doctor checking you. I had bad cramps after my first check around 36 weeks with my first. We went to a movie after the appointment and I scared a few people sitting near us by grabbing my belly, bending over, and once moaning!

The check might have triggered start of labor too! Drink lots of water and start timing them. If they are consistent and close, call the doctor! The water will help stop them if they don't mean anything.

• Loading the player...
  • Yeah I was gonna say, an internal can trigger cramps, and I'd assume that is what it was. Ditto to drinking lots of water!
    Oh Boy! On our way to 3! Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Oh great! I initially thought it could have been from the first internal :) Especially since today they are not as bad...and I do notice water lessening the crampy feeling. They don't feel like Braxton Hicks- and they are not coming and going so I can't time them. It's more of a constant crampy feeling. Thank you for the help though! :)

• That was me last Monday and Tuesday but hasn't happened since, my internal this week had me closed and thick too
  • I've heard pretty much the same thing about the period like cramping-that it can be the start of labor or it can be weeks before labor starts. I've had cramping like you described since about 36 weeks...
  • this is why i prefer no internals until 39 weeks!

• I've had cramping since 36.5 weeks.
  • I have had cramps off and on for the past two weeks. At night sometimes they got so bad I was bent over in pain, like the worst possible menstrual cramps ever. I had to send DH out for Tylenol at 3:00am. My dr said that as long as there is no bleeding it is normal, often it is a sign that I am overdoing it. He said warm baths, drink lots of fluids and take Tylenol when it's really bad and that's all you can do. GL!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"