South Jersey Babies
Options

32 OZ of Water Before Ultrasound?

Hello everyone, I just had my first prenatal visit.  Woohoo!  While I was there I scheduled my first ultrasound.  The receptionist told me that I needed to drink 32 oz of water and hold it before the ultrasound.  Does that sound right or did I get mixed up in my excitement?  Because holding in 32 oz of water when I practically have to pee every half hour sounds crazy.  Any tips?  Thanks!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: 32 OZ of Water Before Ultrasound?

• Options

Unfortunately, yes!  I did a lot of leg crossing...haha...

Seriously though, it's not too bad.  The worst part for me was the tech pushing down on my lower abdomen and sides to see the baby and the kidneys.

• Options

drink 16 on the ride then 16 when you get there

you will be so excited you wont mind waiting to pee

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sounds right to me.  I had to drink it all an hour prior to my appointment time so my bladder would be fully inflated by then.  Good luck!
  • Options
    I just wanted to add:  I believe the full bladder is so they can get a better view of your cervix, which they SHOULD try to get immediately as my u/s tech did - and then let you pee before they complete the rest of the measurements.
  • Options

imageMrsJBL2005:
    I just wanted to add:  I believe the full bladder is so they can get a better view of your cervix, which they SHOULD try to get immediately as my u/s tech did - and then let you pee before they complete the rest of the measurements.

ditto. I was so excited when she let me pee!

Be prepared for the internal u/s after you pee, though. I wasn't ready for that! 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagemrs.kapow:

Be prepared for the internal u/s after you pee, though. I wasn't ready for that! 

I don't recall an internal with either of my kids at that stage, but that doesn't necessarily mean it didn't happen (though I'm pretty sure it didn't!).

• Options
    I went this past week for my first u/s and no one told me to drink anything but a friend suggested a bottle of water before I went. So I drank a bottle of water, had to wait over an hour for the u/s and then ended up using the bathroom before the u/s because i just couldn't stand to hold it anymore. They were still able to do the u/s just fine, So I personally wouldn't worry about drinking that much water. Good luck.
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the advice ladies!  I ended drinking it all on the way and didn't even really notice because I was so excited.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"