South Florida Babies

*~* TayLynn *~*

Hey there, I just saw your reply re. green tea advice from your acupuncturist.  I drink tons of green tea and also take supplements too!  aaah!   UGH!   Any more advice you can give us TTCers?  :)

Jason & Patricia 5/28/06

Re: *~* TayLynn *~*

• Ha!  I'm no expert.  :)  There's a lot of people here that can answer questions.  You TTCer's should ask away on the board.  It's not all about those that are already pregnant or have their babies already. 

I'm glad to help in any way that I can though!

Here's an article that references the green tea blocking folic acid/folate absorption.

Limit Green Tea Consumption During the First Trimester of Pregnancy

According to a study published in the March 2005 issue of Cancer Research, ECGC, a catechin present in green tea in amounts about 5 times higher than in black tea, inhibits the enzyme dihydrofolate reductase (DHFR), which cancer cells need to be able to grow, and which is a well recognized target of anti-cancer drugs.

Scientists decided to look at ECGC after they realized the green tea catechin looks a lot like the cancer drug methotrexate, which prevents cancer cells from making DNA by inhibiting the DHFR enzyme. They discovered that ECGC kills cancer cells in the same way as the drug.

Although ECGC binds strongly to DHFR, which is essential in both healthy and cancerous cells, it does not bind as tightly as methotrexate, so its side effects on healthy cells are less severe than those of the drug.

ECGC's binding to DHFR may also explain why women who drink large amounts of green tea around the time they conceive and early in their pregnancy may have an increased risk of having a child with spina bifida or other neural tube disorders.

Women are advised to take supplements of folic acid when trying to conceive and during the first trimester (the first 3 months) of pregnancy because it is during this time period that the baby's neural tube is developing. Folic acid helps ensure normal development and protects against spina bifida by enabling the production of the enzyme DHFR. While a cup or two of green tea is unlikely to pose a problem, drinking large amounts of green tea could decrease the activity of DHFR, increasing risk of neural tube defects.

I do drink green tea from my period to ovulation but stop immediately after ovulation.  Green tea (and generally being well hydrated) actually can help with fertility.  Google green tea, fertilty and you'll come up with a ton of hits.

I take my prenatal supplements at night before bed so it's far as possible from when I drink my green tea.  The article above mentions that a cup or two is unlikely to pose a problem.  So it's back to most things in moderation.  You have to do what is comfortable personally, consult your doctor etc.

**Another thing about taking your prenatal supplements...  Calcium can block iron absorption.  Many people take their prenatal vitamin in the morning with their orange juice.  That's great as long as your OJ isn't fortified with calcium.  Many varieties are. 

***Some women find taking Mucinex (plain, not D) or generic guaifenesin (available cheaply at Target) can help with fertile CM.

**As far as TTC, https://www.fertilityfriend.com/ is a free tool to help you time sex with your cycle.  They have a free tutorial that will teach you how to chart your temperatures and other fertilty signs. 

Also I've had good luck with OPK and CBEFM. 

HTH.  If you have other questions, feel free to ask.  And others should feel free to answer too!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageTayLynn:

Ha!  I'm no expert.  :) 

Sorry to jump in on this post but I think your replies are always so thorough and informative! You are definitely an expert in my book :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMrsJessNJorge:
    imageTayLynn:

Ha!  I'm no expert.  :) 

Sorry to jump in on this post but I think your replies are always so thorough and informative! You are definitely an expert in my book :)

THIS! Thank you for taking the time to reply. You're always very thoughtful. :)

Jason & Patricia 5/28/06

• Awww, that's sweet of you both to day.

Good luck to you!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"