South Florida Babies

Work related question

Ok, I wanted to post this all day long but I was at work and I didn't want anyone to read it (just in case big brother monitors while we work). So I have been at my current job for a year now and so far so good. Recently their were some changes to my office and I was told I would be training for a higher position and would officially be promoted in June. In the meantime I am getting all the pay bonuses of the higher position but not the salary raise.

Now we find out we are expecting and I am due in December. Since I am up for the promotion in June, I should just keep my mouth shut till them right? Once that time comes who do I tell? My direct boss? My corporate boss? Or do I go straight to HR and talk to them first. My company has a pretty sweet maternity plan in place that would allow me up to 24 weeks leave at 65% of my regular pay so I don't want to jeaopordize any of my benefits or the fact that I have a job period. Thanks in advance! 

Re: Work related question

• How far along will you be by that time? 12ish weeks? I'd wait as long as possible to tell your boss without going too far into your second trimester (because then it might come across as you deliberately keeping info from them, but around 12 weeks is a very natural time to share the news, so no one think twice about that), and hope it doesn't adversely affect your promotion.

I'm not sure who you should tell first. I guess it depends on your company's culture. If you feel your boss might treat you unfairly, I'd consider going to HR first. For me, I told my boss first and then HR. I'm supposed to be up for a promotion in the summer, but we'll see what happens.

• FIRST...let me say CONGRATULATIONS....

WOOHOO I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU !!!

I agree with the following...

"I'd wait as long as possible to tell your boss without going too far into your second trimester (because then it might come across as you deliberately keeping info from them, but around 12 weeks is a very natural time to share the news, so no one think twice about that), and hope it doesn't adversely affect your promotion."

CONGRATS!!!

Hope you have a happy and healthy 9 months...

p.s. If you need ANYTHING...please don't hesitate to ask...:)

Nicole MOM 2 MARIO & NICOLAS
  • Loading the player...
  • Congrats!

I agree with Melissa.  Wait until 12-13 weeks and then share the news with whomever you feel closer to.  If you feel close to your direct boss, let them know first.  If not, just let HR know first so that you can start planning the maternity leave.  Don't wait too long, you don't want to start showing and then have people suspect that you kept it hidden for ulterior motives. 

• Congratulations!  How exciting!  :)

I don't think you need to be too concerned about not telling them.  You could even wait until 16ish weeks without seeming like you're holding something back.  Unless, of course, you start showing before then.  I would have a plan, but definitely keep your options open and tell them when it seems right.  I wouldn't mention it until after June though.  It shouldn't affect your promotion, but I wouldn't chance it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"