2nd Trimester
Options

charlie horse/muscle pain

two mornings ago I woke up with an excruciating charlie horse in my calf. I managed to quell the charlie horse, but since then my calf has felt really sore/painful when i walk. I've heard this is totally normal, but the pain isn't going away. At what point do I start to worry it could be a blod clot?

hmmmm

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: charlie horse/muscle pain

• Options
    Not sure about what point to worry - but I have almost had them several nights this week. I've woken up just before and have been able to kind of adjust to keep from cramping. Like you said, it's totally normal - and I have had them before (pre-pregnancy) when they've been so intense that I've been sore for days. I've never heard that it could be a blood clot - but I'm finding out I don't know a lot of things. Hopefully someone else will have words of wisdom to share! Sorry! :( 
  • Options
    i get charlie horses all the time (pre-pregnancy, and now) and I found that helped me with the after pain - Icy Hot and lots and lots of stretching!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Maternity tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

The What to Expect When You Are Expecting book says regarding leg cramps:

-When leg cramp strikes, straighten your leg and flex your ankle and toes slowly up

--Stretching exercises can help.  Stand about 2 feet away from a wall and put your palms flat against it.  Lean forward, keeping your heels on the floor.  Hold the stretch 10 seconds, and then relax for 5 seconds.  Try this 3 times. 

-To ease the daily load on legs, put your feet up as often as you can, alternate periords of activity with periods of rest . .. . Flex your feet periodically ( I am not so crazy about the idea of support hose--I am not a grandma).

-Try standing on a cold surface, which can sometimes stop a spasm (burr, I have not tried this --I like standing in front of the heater)

-You can add massage or local heat for added relief, but don't massage or add heat if neither flexing nor cold helps the situation (actually I like to take hydrating lotion and massage my legs--it just feels better after a painful leg cramp).

-Drink eight glasses a day. 

--Eat a well balanced diet that includes plenty of calcium and magnesium.

It says that if the pain is severe and persists, contact your practioner because there is a slight possibility that a blood clot may have developed in a vein, making medical treatment necessary. 

imageimageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image BFP on 07/18/08. Miscarriage 07/30/08. BFP 3/25/09. Confirmed second miscarriage, no heartbeat, no growth beyond 7 weeks, 5/19/09. TTC again, on baby aspirin, due to value of 23 on Anticardiolipin Antibodies. BFP 11/15/09. Brown spotting, Beta 3735 11/25/09, Beta 5602 11/28/09. Anticardiolipin Antibodies now negative, still on baby asprin. On 100 mg of Prometrium (progesterone) until 10 weeks. Good heartbeat at 1st appt. 12/16/09. Started taking fish oil. Perigestational hemorrhage and red bleeding 12/17/09. 2nd Ultrasound-8 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/17/09. Baby measured 9 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/23/09. Good NT Scan on 1/8/10, heartbeat 164. EDD 7/28/10. TEAM BLUE! Aidan Thomas born on May 26, 2010. Baby #2, BFP 11/27/11, EDD 6/5/12. TEAM PINK! Noelle Elizabeth born 4/30/12. Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God.
  • Options
    I had them often with my first pregnancy.  My OB suggested eating a banana once a day.  She said you can also get a potassium chewable.  Stretching also worked for me. 
  • Options

imageteachinbr:
    I had them often with my first pregnancy.  My OB suggested eating a banana once a day.  She said you can also get a potassium chewable.  Stretching also worked for me. 

Yep, bananas are great for this, but also kiwi and potatoes (which both have more potassium than a banana).  

• Options
    I get these and eating bananas and stretching helps.  I recently saw a chiro and told him about my charlie horses. He recommended also drinking a little pedialyte  to help  (yes that stuff for babies)
  • Options
    charlie horses are often a sign of dehydration. Thats why pedialyte or gatorade/G2/powerade would be recommended. They have the potassium and magnesium electrolytes that your body lacks when its dehydrated. I've found a powerade a day kepps the charliehorses away! ETA: Make sure you are getting at least your 8 glasses of water a day as well.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"